Can I Request to Have a Craniotomy Done to Reshape my Skull?

I recently suffered from a hyperpituitary disorder which caused excess release of Growth hormone which deformed my skull and made it grow into an unusual shape. I am only 20 years old and would really want this reversed. Alot of surgeons want to avoid the risks that come with craniotomy but it is the only thing that offers me hope.

Doctor Answers 2

Overgrown Skull??

 Overgrowth of the facial skeleton can be improved with boney contouring procedures. For example if your forehead is bossed out like a cro-magnom man in appearance it can be re-contoured to a more appealing appearance. You should should first make sure your pituitary disorder is stable and not active/ progressive. Next, consider seeking out a Craniofacial surgeon about your concerns at the American Society of Craniofacial surgery. Such procedures can be are usually considered cosmetic, are rather extensive/ expensive and, often more than surgery can be required to address all of a patients concerns. Best,


Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 9 reviews


What you need to do in consult both an endocrinologist and neurosurgeon.  Your request may be reasonable but it out of the realm of most plastic surgeons.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.