Who Would Repair my Nose Bone? ENT of Plastic Surgeon?

I have a small piece of bone that is like a small hump on the top right of my nos right where the lower part of my glasses sit. I can compare it to like a small stick under your pool that has been filled and you step on it and fell the sharp edge. I had stitches when I was 10 on my nose because I ran through a glass door that was behind a curtain that I thought was open. I am guessing it just needs filed down. Would and ENT or Plastic surgeon or both be able to fix it?

Doctor Answers 5

Nasal repair, ENT or Plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best person for addressing your difficult nasal problem is a board certified facial plastic surgeon.  The original background for a facial plastic surgeon is ear, nose, and throat surgery and they must be board certified in ear, nose, and throat surgery before they can obtain their facial plastic and reconstructive surgery board certification.  Look for someone who has extensive experience in rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty.  It is equally important to make sure that your surgery is performed in a certified surgery center and that anesthesia is performed by a board certified physician anesthesiologist.

Correction of Nasal Hump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The most important thing for correction of any nasal deformity is that it be done in the hands of an experienced Board Certified Otalaryngologist or Rhinoplasty Surgeon who is either Board Certified in Otalaryngology or Plastic Surgery. This can be done in an efficacious matter by one with expertise in rhinoplasty.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and surgical specialty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both Plastic Surgeons and ENT Surgeons perform rhinoplasty surgery.  You should check to see that your surgeon is board certified in either plastic surgery or ENT surgery.   Also, ask your surgeon if rhinopasty surgery represents a significant part of his/her practice.  If the surgeon is a member of an aesthetic society, such as the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Inc.,  this would be further proof that your surgeon is well qualified to perform your rhinoplasty.

Training is key

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Just be sure you have someone with a solid background as far as their training in nasal surgery, and in particular, rhinoplasty.  Some Plastic Surgeons are trained expertly in more body than facial surgery and some ENTs have focused more on functional or non-nasal cosmetic surgery.  Others trained and/or practice primarily on the face and/or nose.  That said, it can make it difficult to decipher.  Just make sure their practice and training reflect good experience with rhinoplasty surgery.  Good luck!

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Repairing Nasal Bone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need a surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty surgery whether they are an ENT surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon. 

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.