What Can Be Done to Repair my Neck/facelift? (photo)

I'm 72. In June, 2012, I had a neck & lower face lift & liposuction on neck. After, there was a lumpy area under my chin. My doctor said to wait nine months. My lips were stretched , but within two weeks, that had improved. However, it's continued to come undone - my jowls, lines from nose and mouth, neck wrinkles are reappearing (about 50% undone) and under chin is much worse. Two PS said I had good skin elasticity. What can be done? An in-office procedure? Should I trust the same doctor? Help!

This needs revision

Opening the original facelift incisions and submental incision and redraping the skin is the only way forward here.

Good luck!

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Neck / Facelift Procedures

It is difficult to truly assess what is happening, but it appears like the skin under the chin (submental region) has become attached to the underlying muscle, and as the surrounding facial skin droops it is causing that lumpy appearance.  You likely will benefit from some type of revision procedure, in which the skin and perhaps underlying deeper tissue is returned to a more desirable aesthetic position.  One question - prior to  your surgery, did you have any significant weight loss?

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Neck and Face lifting

The advice you have already received seems on the mark. The only thing I can add is that you should be careful not to fall in the minimal surgery conundrum. This means do not listen to anyone who thinks this can repaired by anterior undermining and a submental incision. Your bands may or may not be platysmal and actually look like skin bands to me. A complete undermining with special care to tighten, drastically, the neck skin with both pressure bandages and drains probably necessary for smoothness of the redraped skin and to make sure no fluid collections mar the early result. For a young 72 you have had enough go wrong so choose your  real Board Certified Plastic Surgeon carefully.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Neck lift Revision #facelift

You waited like we tell all of our patients what I would consider the right amount of time. The good news is this can be fixed. The bad news is you would likely need a facelift and neck lift done all over again. It is critical to tighten the deeper structures to give the proper lifting effect then re-draping the skin over the underlying work without tension. You do seem to have excess skin that could be re-draped much better. I would seek another opinion from someone who is known in your area to do really good work.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Revision facelift for a poor result..

Unfortunately the only way to correct what you show in these pictures is a revision facelift. I would select a different surgeon for a second opinion and then see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Facelift result

I am presuming that the surgeon was relying more on liposuction to correct the neck than a full undermining of the neck skin that most 71 year olds need to get a good result. If you were my patient and had such a result, I would see that the work would be redone for cost of the operating room and anesthesia. I see no simple solution other than a good operation.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Poor facelift outcome

I'm not sure what happened here but in my opinion it is important to "open" the neck and this involves an incision under the chin through which the fat is directly removed with no bleeding (not with liposuction), and the muscles are tightened and then the excess skin is redraped.  Since your neck was liposuctioned, I presume the neck wasn't opened.  All this is speculation, but the only way to really improve the result would be to redo it all, open the neck and this is clearly not a minor revision.

Corrective Face/Neck Lifting

This is a good question – and I am sorry that you have to ask it.  Any irregularities after facelift and neck surgery should be resolved by your stage of healing. What is most important, with relation to your question, is that you can have a markedly improved result. This would require an additional surgical procedure, in an operating room, to correct residual skin left behind and the asymmetry of the neck fat removal.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift result

Based on your photo, you have contracting scrs in the neck and prominence of your muscle bands. In my past, you can release the scar and tighten the muscle for improvement. discuss this with your surgeon. All the best

Revision Facelift and Necklift is needed

Dear Polishmama, You will need a full revision facelift and neck lift similar to the original surgery. You need to have these  areas undermined and the skin needs to be resuspended to smooth out this area under the chin and neck. I would suggest a second opinion as well as discussing your concerns with your previous treating physician. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD