Why does my vagina look like this, is my only option surgery? (photo)

I had my first and only child two years ago. I didnt look at my vagina for a long time after. The doctor told me i only had one little tear. But now it seems to so meesed up and something is like falling out of it. And its all torn. It makes me really sad because im only 23 and before i had my baby I was very happy with what it looked like. Is my only option to save up for a surgery? She was less than 5 pounds and i was indiced so its weird she did so much damage..

Doctor Answers 10

Why dd the appearance of my vagina change after having a small baby?

I am sorry you are having this problem.  Motherhood is far more difficult than fatherhood.  The vagina and external genitalia are designed to accommodate sex and vaginal birth.  This does not mean that the appearances and functionality of a woman's genitalia will not change.   The second birth for instance is easier for a woman than the first one.  This is because the tissue has relaxed.   The changes in appearances are related to that relaxation.  I would not jump to surgery as a young woman unless the problem is bothering you significantly.  The reason for this is that assuming you have more children the problem will occur again unless you have a c section. Generally its better to have a vaginal birth than a c section.  A c section should be offered to you if you do have vaginal reconstruction.   But if you are planning a large family I would generally advise you wait until you are finished with child bearing unless this is bothering you a lot.  Good luck!

Woodstock Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Protruding tissue after childbirth

needs an examination to diagnose what the problem is.  If its simple things like mucosal redundancies, simple excision will resolve that.  If its more complicated like prolapse, you need a gynecologist to 'fix' you.  The ragged edges are remnants of your hymen and if really bothersome, could be trimmed back, but no one really sees it so is it necessary?  You can see any surgeon to get evaluated and once a diagnosis is made, you should be referred or fixed, depending on your surgeon's experience and qualifications.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Post vaginal delivery anatomical changes

Greetings and thank you for your question since many young women experience similar outcome following a vaginal delivery, regardless of age. Based on the image you provided, it appears that you may have had a significant stretching during the delivery process due to many possible factors, mainly the quality of your connective tissue. Only you can determine if the post-delivery appearance and function is compromised to the extend that you need to seek a professional intervention. The most reasonable approach would be to consider a surgical correction, a perineoplasty and possibly vaginoplasty. You may start with an in person consultation/exam to have a better insight into your anatomy and plan your treatment strategy accordingly. Please keep in mind that it may happen again if you decide to have another child, even if delivered via a cesarean section.

Best wishes,

Yvonne Wolny, MD

Yvonne Wolny, MD
Chicago OB-GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Options for a wide-openvagina...


The answer to your questions depend on whether your situation- appearance and/or "tightness" is a problem or a "bother" to you. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is the operative mantra. While vaginal "gaping" and exteriorization of hymenal tags and/or a fold of the posterior vaginal wall is more probable pending the number & size of progeny, a lot depends on genetics, pressures, tears and the mindfulness and skill of hte birth attendent who repaired your perineum & vagina.

YES, you are a perfect candidate for an aesthetic perineolasty performed by an aesthetic Gyn or UroGyn, adding in a vaginoplasty/pelvic floor repair if indicated. Choose your surgeon wisely. Fact: your "general gyn" has NOT been trained fro aesthetic reconstruction, or a mindful, size-compressing, muscle-approximating vaginoplasty...  A "posterior repair" alone is NOT either an aesthetic nor functionally tightening procedure. The weblink is a place to begin your search... IMPORTANT: a so-called "non-invasive" procedure such as "ThermiVa or FemiLift, etc, while indicated for other situations, will only be  waste of $$ for you!

Best wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Why does my vagina look like this, is my only option surgery?

Thank you for your question and photo. Based on this frontal photo, you do have a wide vaginal opening with some hymenal remnants and excess vaginal mucosa or polyp. These can be improved with surgery only. You will need an in person consultation/evaluation to decide what would be the best procedure for you. See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist experienced in these types of surgery. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Vaginal prolapse

I recommend getting an opinion from a GYN reconstructive surgeon. They will check your vaginal and pelvic support and address your concerns. There appears to be some excess skin or vaginal tissue protruding. If this is bothersome, it can be repaired. There may be other issues that can't be seen in an external picture. If you have no problem except for the appearance, then I would caution against cosmetic surgery, especially if you plan further child-bearing.

Michael Swor, MD
Sarasota OB/GYN

Vagina, labia laxity after childbirth

you need to be examined.  mild laxity can be improved with themiva non surgical tightening or similar non surgical device.

if the bladder is pushing down  it may need suspension.

See your Gyn and plastic surgeon and get more than one opinion

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Why does my vagina look like this, is my only option surgery?

Thank you for sharing.   Although today there are several non surgical options for tightening of the vagina.  Based on the picture you posted and the protruding vaginal tissue, I would recommend a surgical approach to remove the excess protruding tissue either with a perineoplasty alone or a vaginoplasty.

I would first recommend a proper evaluation with an experienced surgeon.

Best of luck.

David Ghozland, MD
Santa Monica OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Childbirth damaged your vaginal supports, but this can be fixed

You appear to have damage to your vaginal supports. However, this needs to be assessed with a thorough pelvic exam to see how much damage you have sustained. This can certainly be repaired, but requires surgery.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Vaginal laxity and prolapse

some women experience a lot of stretching of the tissues (including tummy skin) with childbirth while others bounce right back like nothing happened. In terms of your vagina, there was stretching that didn't bounce back. The lower tissue that is protruding could be removed and the vaginal opening tightened in a procedure called a vaginoplasty and perineoplasty. The upper bulge is your bladder which can be pushed down by the baby. Sometimes this also needs an "anterior repair". Best to see your gyn for advice and exam. 

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 200 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.