Am I a good candidate for an African American Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I would like my nose to be thinner, and less flat.... but I still want it to be somewhat of a "black nose".... and I don't want it to have that "pinched" look, like Janet Jackson's. Is this realistic for me?

No pinched nose for you!

Hello Kamilahne and thanks for your questions. Yes it is quite possible to attain a very natural look without a pinched appearance. A well-executed ethnic rhinoplasty will create "ethnic balance" thus retaining your ethnic identity. I would also suggest you consider a small chin implant. Be well

African American Rhinoplasty

Dear Kamilahne, You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. During consultation digital imaging can be done that will show you the proposed changes to your nose. Once these are agreed upon then the surgeon can go into detail of what will be done surgically to attain the desired results. The fact that you want some refinements to your nose while keeping balance to your ethnic features makes you an excellent candidate. You should have a very nice natural looking result that will bring harmony and balance to your overall beautiful facial aesthetics. 

Michael Elam, MD

Am I a good candidate for an African American Rhinoplasty?

The question you ask is a very reasonable one. When looking at the photos you provided you could have narrowing of the nose and refinement to a more “ideal” shape, and in a way that also represents and respects your ancestry. The details of what would could be done is best determined after a complete examination that reviews you nasal airway, skin, and nasal cartilage. Hopefully this is helpful to you.
Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. It is important. I would say you are likely an excellent candidate based on your desire to retain some of the ethnic features of your nose. This demonstrates that you simply desire an improved version of your nose as opposed to a new nose which I always prefer for patients to be able to articulate. I differ in my technique from many surgeons for African American nose jobs. I think the pinched look that you refer to often is the result of base reductions that are frequently recommended for African American patients. I disagree strongly with this philosophy, I have had marked success in achieving the same goals by strengthening the alar region as opposed to incising it. Please find an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon as details make all the difference in this operation. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keeping a natural ethnic look is possible with an experienced specialist

Yes, a properly trained and experienced rhinoplasty specialist should absolutely be able to come up with a surgical plan that both addresses your concerns and honours your ethnic heritage. It's very important that you find a facial plastic surgeon who has experience in African-American rhinoplasty and who can show you before and after pictures of patients with similar ethnic backgrounds and the outcomes achieved.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.
The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Good candidate for Ethnic rhinoplasty

Your nose has very distinct characteristics that create the typical appearance for many african american patients. There is a low dorsum, or bridge, due to widened nasal bones that produce poor definition of the profile. Additionally, there is thickened skin, widened nostrils, and poor tip definition which overall produces a widened, poorly defined nose. All of these factors need to be addressed to successfully treat a nose such as yours. It frequently involves adding some contour and definition to the dorsum, or bridge of the nose. Once the bridge or dorsum is better defined, the underlying tip structures need to be addressed and added support frequently needs to be added in the form of a columellar strut to structurally maintain the desired tip definition. Lastly, the nostrils will inevitably need to be reduced to match the overall harmony of the nose with the face. In short, your nose will look more defined on your face, and may look smaller because the nostrils and nasal structure are more narrowed and refined to fit your face.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist to acchieve your goals

Ethnic Rhinoplasty can be complicated and requires proper evaluation and discussion of proper techniques that will satisfy your goals and refrain from a pinched result.
Open and structural closed rhinoplasty can both meet your goals of refining your nose. A successful rhinoplasty can be described as a nose that harmonizes with the rest of your face.
Based on your question and pictures provided, I recommend refining your tip with structural cartilage grafting and nostril narrowing.  I recommend seeking out a board certified facial plastic & reconstructive surgeon to discuss all your options and formulate a plan.

Karan Dhir, MD

African American rhinoplasty

Yes you appear to be a good candidate for an African American rhinoplastyl I would recommend an alar base
excision to reduce the width  of the base of the nose. I would suggest increasing the nasal tip projection. It is not uncommon to increase the dorsal profile to establish better balance.Video imaging preoperatively at the time of the consultation is beneficial to give you an idea of the result as well as seeing the plastic surgeon's work from representative  patients before and after surgery.

Michael Eisemann N.D.
Plastic Surgeon
Houston, Texas

Rhinoplasty to narrow and wide nose

A closed rhinoplasty approach can  address narrowing the wide and flat nose.  to accomplish a narrowing effect, osteotomies will need to be performed on the nasal bones, a tip rhinoplasty will be required to narrow the nasal tip, and an alar plasty is performed at the base of the nostrils to narrow them as well. Cartilage grafts can be harvested from inside the nose and placed along the bridge line to build height to the bridge which also gives the illusion of being more narrow. For many examples and more information, please see the video and the link below