I'm 18 years old and I was wondering if I would be a good candidate to get a tummy tuck and liposuction?

I can't seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try I was been up to four years trying to lose the same thought that just seems to keep growing my boobs keep getting bigger and everything starting to become painful. I'm 53 end I weigh 189 pounds and I'm 18 years old.

Body contouring surgery is rarely beneficial as a means for weight loss.   Surgery can safely remove only 10 to 15 lbs which would not make that much difference.  Also, if you gain that weight back after surgery, you could end up with fat in really strange places.  I highly recommend you consult a weight loss physician and get on track for a healthy life.  You should have a complete physical evaluation and likely some labs done to make sure you don't have any medical reason for your weight problems.   

Tummy tuck and liposuction at 18?

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear you´re having trouble to achieve weight loss, at your age i would not recommend to have these procedures done. You should seek professional help from a nutritionist and find a good exercise program to help you reach your goal weight. After you have reached your goal weight and have been able to maintain it for at least 6 months you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to see what options you have. Wishing you best of luck!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

Thank you for your question. For health and safety reason, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Jaime S. SchwartzBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear of your weight struggles. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Tummy tuck and liposuction are not weight loss procedures. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Candidate for TT at 18?

Dear Ally, I would say at 18 surgery would not be an ideal option for you. If you are trying hard and not getting results seek professional help for your weight loss first. It is always best to be at or near a healthy weight for cosmetic surgery let alone you being young. I understand your frustration but perhaps searching a professional for the weight loss will help you head in the right direction. Best of luck to you. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty that you have had with weight loss. Unfortunately, a tummy tuck and liposuction are not good procedures for weight loss. They are body contouring procedures that work well to remove excess skin and fat after someone has reached a long-term stable weight that they are happy with.

I commend your efforts over the last four years, but if you are finding that you are not  achieving the weight loss that you desire, then I would recommend participating in a medically managed weight loss program in your area. These are often multidisciplinary and will allow you to work closely with a team of weight loss experts.

I hope that you get the results that you desire. 

Overweight wanting Liposuction and/or Tummy Tuck

Unfortunately, neither liposuction or abdominoplasty is a substitute for weight loss. If you have been working on it alone for 4 years without success, you need professional help. After you have lost the weight, you can then consult a plastic surgeon if you have excess skin or localized fat that will not respond.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Never a great idea to depend on surgery

to improve contours at your age... and you would be better off hiring a personal trainer to get you going at the gym regularly.  Once your weight goals are met, then you can consider augmentation of your breasts if it will help with your overall contours.  This opinion comes from doing a tummy tuck early in my career on a 20 y/o only to have her continue to balloon in weight.  You have to fix the weight problem first.

Curtis Wong, MD

Weight loss

Weight loss can be very difficult. However, at 18 years old you have fantastic skin and growth ability. I would suggest that you try to find a clinic that can help you lose the weight. It is hard to do on your own but with real conviction and help I think that you can do it. It will be  far better for you to go down that path and spend some money for weight loss help then to try any kind of surgical intervention at this time.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon