How do I look 1 week post op from my tummy tuck? I would like opinions from other PS so I know if I'm on track (Photos)

I am one week post op from my tummy tuck. My ps said he removed a tremendous amount of skin and he said my muscle repair was intense due to how far apart my muscles were. I have lost 110 pounds through diet and exercise. When I look at my tummy I don't feel like I look as flat as I should. I know there is swelling that will go down but I still have a "roll" when in the sitting position. I had lipo on my flanks and I don't feel the left and right side are balanced. How do I look 1 week post op?

Evaluating the results of a tummy tuck

First of all, congratulations on your successful weight loss. One week post op is much too early to try to critically assess the results of a procedure this extensive. The photos you posted suggest you will ultimately have a good outcome. It is important to maintain close contact and followup with your surgeon to assure maximal results. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

How does my TT look

Congratulations on your weight loss. Your TT looks great. Be patient. Follow your surgeon 's post op instructions on compression garment. It's going to be several months before you will see the final results. Always address your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.  

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Tummy Tuck Results

You look a bit full, so I would follow up soon with your surgeon to be sure you haven't developed a fluid collection that can be drained.  You will have a lot of swelling for many months, making it difficult to assess your overall result. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

How do I look 1 week post op from my tummy tuck?

Congratulations on your recent procedure. One week out from surgery I don't see anything abnormal. Of course only an in person examination can give definitive answers, but it appears that you are experiencing a typical amount of swelling. In my patients the lower part of the tummy becomes swollen, the mons becomes swollen, and the areas of liposuction look like nothing was done! However, the swelling improves slowly with time and slowly slowly slowly you start to see your results show through. This is the great part of the recovery process, because all of the hard work is starts to pay off. Congratulations again and make sure that you always touch base with your plastic surgeon to express any concerns they you may have.

Thank you for your question and the photos. You are definitely doing well for 1 week post op . There is still a lot of swelling in the abdomen area which is normal. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

How do I look 1 week post op from my tummy tuck? I would like opinions from other PS so I know if I'm on track

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Congrats on the weight loss and making it through surgery well. I would encourage you to be very cautious about judging your results too soon. You are only one week out and there is still significant swelling and much healing to take place. I would not evaluate my final results until at least 3, if not 6, months post-op. Also your postop appearance can depend on your pre-op anatomy. Someone who loses a significant amount of weight has skin that has been stretched to a great degree and the surgical results can be affected by this, not to mention that removing that amount of skin requires compromises in the operation that can compromise results when compared to someone with much less skin removal or a "better" pre-op starting point. 

Bottom line.....wait some time and monitor things. If at 3 months you are still not happy, discuss your concerns openly with your surgeon.

1 Week Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find yourself concerned with the healing process it would be good to visit your surgeon for an examination to make sure that healing is progressing well.

Recovering from tummy tuck

Congrats on the weight loss and for making it though surgery!  Echoing other statements on this forum, I would urge you to remain patients as you are still extremely early in the recovery process.  Swelling will take many weeks to go down and your skin over time will tighten down over its new contour.  In the meantime, convey your concerns to your surgeon and best luck on your recovery!

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon seeing as they are you best and most accurate resource. You are very early in your recovery and still have swelling present. Swelling is completely normal and will continue to resolve over the next 4-6 months. You can perform daily lymphatic drainage massages and after 4 weeks you should be able to switch to a compression garment if your doctor clears you to do so. Continue to follow your surgeon’s aftercare instructions and you should notice your results begin to refine and swelling should dissipate leaving you with your true result.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon