Is vitamin c recommended before Breast Augmentation?

Vitamin c

vitamin C has been shown to benefit healing and postoperative results in wrist fractures. I am not aware of any studies that show it to be of benefit in breast augmentation. 

However vitamin c is relatively safe and has little downside. Certainly it could help - just because there isn't a study published doesn't mean that it won't help. It does make some sense that if it helps healing in one type of surgery, it could have benefits in other types. 

My only word of caution is to not overdo it. Just take a daily vitamin C supplement or a multivitamin that includes normal doses of vitamin C.  Overdoing anything can be dangerous (even drinking excessive amounts of water can be dangerous).

Hope that helps,

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia 

Is vitamin C recommended before Breast Augmentation?

Although, vitamin C is a necessity in the healing process, most individuals obtain an adequate amount of vitamin C in their regular diet.   Citrus fruits and juices are excellent sources of vitamin C, as are papaya, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, and cantaloupe.  If you believe you don't consume an adequate amount of fresh fruits, one 500 mg tablet of vitamin C  daily, may be a reasonable option to help assure normal healing.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins and supplements before surgery

can only help... but there is no proof it will truly make a difference in your outcome.  The doctors who provide IV infusions of vitamins are motivated to do so since they make money off of it.  But will it make a huge difference in your outcome?  No one can say.  But will it hurt you?  Absolutely not.

Curtis Wong, MD

Vitamin C is recommended before any surgical procedure.

This is good to know. Thank you for your question.

Fred Suess, MD

Thank your question. The answer is not necessarily. People who are getting ready for surgery should eat well-balanced diet that is full of all of the essential vitamins and minerals. 

Vitamin C and Surgery

Adding Vitamin C can help in aiding recovery, so not something you need to avoid before or after surgery.  I recommend avoiding fish oil and higher doses of Vitamin E prior to surgery as they can thin the blood and increase the risk of bleeding in surgery.

All the best to you,

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin C Breast Augmentation

There is no good scientific evidence to suggest pre operative or post operative Vitamin C supplementation is beneficial in breast augmentation.  If you are Vitamin C deficient (scurvy), which is exceptionally rare, then Vitamin C would be recommended.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Vitamin C and surgery

There is no good evidence that vitamin C is beneficial either before or after surgery. A multivitamin may be a good idea if your diet is somewhat restricted.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin C

This really differs per practice seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different pre & post operative protocol. Vitamin C can aid in recovery and reduce inflammation so it can be beneficial to take that daily. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon

I really don't think many of us routinely recommend any vitamins prior breast surgery.  I recommend vit. E for the first year after surgery.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS