Why am I so uneven? (photos)

I have been doing massage like I was told. Can I get any advice on have to even myself out I am a month and a half out of surgery and I am starting to get really unhappy with how different they are looking. Front sides they look good but not from the front.

Why am I so uneven?

At 6 weeks post op you are early in the healing process. I recommend following up with your chosen surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Regards,

Asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photos. You may have had slight size differences or fold asymmetry pre op which is contributing to different rates of settling now. This is not uncommon at 1.5 months post op. I recommend that you share any ongoing concerns with your Plastic Surgeon, but try to wait until closer to 6 months post op to evaluate your results.

All the best

Nothing to Worry About!

Thanks for your inquiry!

It seems like there are a few factors at play here. Since it is still only a month and a half since surgery, the implants haven't fallen to their expected position as of yet. They look great for the stage of recovery you're at. At around 6 months you should feel like the swelling is much less apparent and the breasts look more like they were intended to look.
You do have one shoulder higher than the other, and one implant dropping more quickly than the other. Because of this, the breasts appear uneven. However, I do not believe you have cause to worry about the final result!
If your board-certified plastic surgeon has developed a personalized plan to meet your needs, then I would recommend following the post-op instructions they have given you to ensure optimal results. If in a few weeks you still feel unhappy, contact them to set up a visit and discuss in person. 

Best of luck

Why am I so uneven? (photos)

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still pretty early in your #healing process. The final #appearance, #shape, and #movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not #move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be #firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. Best wishes!

When upper poles are not level after augmentation

your surgeon should be advising you on maneuvers to help improve the symmetry and levelness as that is what everyone will see in your clothing.  I personally believe massage helps as does asymmetric brassieres that support the low side and push down on the high side.  But ask your surgeon since your surgeon will also have to 'live' with the results and it is a direct reflection of his/her skills and should want the absolute best result for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Results.

You look like you have a nice result.   Your final result typically takes 4 to 8 months.   The breast augmentation increases the volume of what you start with.  Most people have a lower breast fold which is usually on the right.  There is a chest wall asymmetry that most people have with the left side usually being more projected.  The nipple placement is usually off but your is almost perfect.   I would be patient and compare your results to the pre op photos at the 4 to 8 month mark. 

Kenneth Sumida, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Uneven afterBA

YOu are not really totally healed yet and the appearance may change.

However to me the most obvious problem is that you have huge implants in comparison to your thin body type.  A much more natural, yet full appearnance could be achieved with smaller implants.  Did you really want them this big?

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Why am I so uneven?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Sorry to hear that you are getting frustrated. I do not know how you looked pre-op and sometimes asymmetry from pre-op can become more apparent after an augmentation. I also do not have any information on what implants were placed and what technique was used. From the look of the pictures, you chose implants that are quite large for your frame. With large implants, it can often take 2-3 months for them to settle into proper position and achieve their final appearance. Often during this process, for many reasons, one side will progress at a different rate than the other. Although it seems like a long time, you are only 6 weeks out from surgery and your final result may not be apparent for another 6 weeks or more. Follow closely with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns openly. Stick to his or her instructions and if at six months you are still uneven and remain unhappy with your results, then you can see what options may be available for a revision or implant exchange to even out the size difference. I think at this point you have a very nice result and if you give it time, you will be happy with the result in the end.