Reason for swollen hand? I'm three weeks post-op

Breast swollen why is hand swollen to I'm three weeks post

Recovery from breast surgery

I advise you see your surgeon for review. Possible reasons are: residual swelling from problems with a fluid line (intravenous cannula) placed at the time of surgery, positional causes at the time of surgery on the operating table (pressure on hand), impairment of the lymphatic drainage of that arm secondary to the breast surgery itself.

All the very best,

Jonathan Adamthwaite

FRCS (Plast) Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Liverpool Plastic Surgeon

Swollen hand after surgery

could arise from a difficult IV or extravasation into the hand... but most are back to normal after 3 weeks.  Elevate as much as you can and discuss with your surgeon if it isn't getting better as he/she may have better ideas as they know just what was done at your procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I don't have an exact answer from this, because your breast surgery doesn't have to be with your arms, it is very weird. Besides that you can get swollen, and maybe your body reacts that way to it, go to your surgeon and check what's happening, I don't think it can be something to worry about. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Swollen hand?

I'm not sure that we are going to figure out why your hand is swollen 3 weeks post-op on an online forum. However, it is normal for your breasts to be swollen if you're only 3 weeks out from a breast augmentation. Some possible causes are a predisposition to have water retention, too much salt in your diet, or you've performed some extra activity that's leading to swelling in the hand. I suggest you call your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns about the hand swelling for an appropriate diagnosis. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD