Would my labiaplasty be covered or partially covered by insurance? (photos)

I'm 26 and do not have any kids. I've had recurrent infections ... Yeast and utis ever since puberty. Before that I remember having external infections when I was a kid. very hard to keep this area clean, No matter what protocol soap & water, Special ph body washes, always seem to have an odor problem. I have an abnormally large amount of discharge. I have been to several Obgyns, None of them could figure out a cause but I am wearing several panty liners a day or a tampon

Its very rare for insurance to cover labiaplasties

but if your photos are at the extremes, it has been authorized in the past.  But with concerns such as yours, will any of your doctors be willing to say your anatomy is the cause of your problems?  If so, then its possible insurance will be on the hook to cover it for you.  But your doctor may have to have some study he or she could refer to.  Otherwise you could have this done cosmetically for less then $2000 if you were willing to travel 3.5 hours.

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are  enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. I have done it over 250 times with excellent results.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Yes, large labia which produce a moist, warm environment can lead to frequent yeast infections...

Hello Friend from Reno,

The only surgeons who accept "insurance" for a labiaplasty are untrained "general gyn's" who may or may not "botch" your surgery-- you really are taking a chance with a surgeon who cannot show you either > 25 of their own "before and afters" or show you a certificate that they have taken a training course with one of the world's experts: myself; Dr. Red Alinsod in Laguna Beach, Dr. David Matlock in Los Angeles, or Dr. Troy Halperin in San Antonio Texas (I think these are tho only "super-experts teaching other docs how to do surgery properly...). If your doc has performed > 50, you should be OK.

Yes, your redcurrant infections could be caused by your generous sized labia!  I and others have seen this.You certainly would be a good candidate for a well-done LP. Best to only see a surgeon who is skilled in BOTH linear/trim and V or V-Y wedges, so that the best procedure fort YOUR anatomy can be chosen. When you price, make sure you get the "total" or "out-the-door": fee, not just the "surgeon's fee."

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Would my labiaplasty be covered or partially covered by insurance?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photos, you would benefit from a labia minora reduction and clitoral hood reduction. You should seek out an expert in this field not anyone who might take insurance and not understand the delicate nature of this surgery. Your best chance for a great result is your first surgery done appropriately. A bad surgery might or might not be correctable and can create a lifelong problem. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who perform these procedures routinely (not all do, hence the increase in secondary repairs in my practice) for an in person consultation/evaluation. Get a quote for your surgery, save up for it or can finance it as most offices employ several financing options. Do not donate your intimate private parts to the lowest bidder. Good luck.

Insurance doesn't cover cosmetic labiaplasty procedures

Thanks for your photos. The question you should ask yourself is if you are "willing to settle for a surgeon who would perform your labia reduction without any sense or concern for an optimal aesthetic result?" If you are then keep trying to find a generalist who will do this under your insurance coverage. I suspect that a lot of the botched labiaplasty procedures that you see on RealSelf are from these type of surgeons.

If you are concerned about the small anal skin tag then you are certainly concerned about the aesthetic appearance of your vulva. I recommend you find a cosmetic vaginal surgeon with proven results to perform your labiaplasty, clitoral hood reduction with clitoropexy and anal skin tag excision. You will likely need to travel to find that best surgeon for you. This can be performed in the office, under local anesthesia. You would return home on post-op day 5 and resume your normal work or school activities.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Insurance rarely pays

Hello. Thank you for your question and for submitting photos with it. When it comes to insurance and labiaplasty, I am disappointed to say, 95% of the time they do not cover any of the cost for the procedure. This is even despite medical need such as recurrent infections. The few cases which have been minimally covered (10% coverage) were cases where birth trauma occurred and repair was needed. Needless to say, the more times women submit to insurance for coverage my hope is the better chance insurance will one day cover this procedure. In the meantime, financing your procedure is a possibility through CareCredit.

You have excess skin around your clitoral hood as well as long thickened labia. You are an excellent candidate for labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction. These procedures would "tidy up" the area making it much easier to keep clean. Please feel free to call for a free consultation. Best wishes 

Dr Poucher

Unfortunately insurance companies are very unlikely to cover this procedure.  I have tried many times and have mostly been unsuccessful. There are financing options available for you to make the procedure more affordable.  Be sure to choose a Board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Labiaplasty.

John G. Hunter, MD

The insurance companies don't care

the insurance companies don't care about this issue and they rarely if ever will cover it. 

You definitely would benefit from a labiaplasty although I am not sure that all of your symptoms are from enlarged labia. Discharge for example is not an issue related to enlarged labia minora but hygiene can be. 

Best to find an expert instead of any doc willing to try and push this thru insurance. Your gentalia is critical and you need to visit a doctor with an expertise in this area. 

Would my labiaplasty be partially or fully covered by insurance?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your recurrent infections.  In most cases labiaplasty are considered "not medically necessary"  and will go uncovered by insurance companies.  I would recommend reaching out to your insurance carrier and seeing if they cover the procedure and, if so, what their criteria to qualify would entail.  Best wishes.