What would be the best implant choice for me if I am wanting to get upper fullness without side boob and a wide gap? (Photos)

I am 5'7, 145lbs. I have had 3 kids and two breast lifts. One prior to having kids and one after. The most recent was about a year and half ago. I am having my consult next week and surgery next month but just wanting some help with sizing to go with my body type. I am a very athletic person working out 5-6 days a week high intensity crossfit workouts. I don't want super big breasts. I just want full perky breasts. Natural look is not really what I want because when I think natural I think saggy

Breast Aug and lift post pregnancy

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. For patients with your body type and active lifestyle, I would strongly suggest going with a textured silicone gel implant. textured implants do not move as much as a smooth implant and will likely be the better choice to prevent bottoming out or lateral displacement of the implant

A perky breast is best achieved with a high profile type implant. This should be done under the muscle using your pre-existing breast lift incision at the inframammary fold. The hardest aspect of this will be waiting to heal before you resume exercise again. It will be 1-2 months before most doctors will give you the ok for any exercise and even then, it will be conservative workouts at first. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Choosing Implants

The best way to determine your goals are being met is to discuss all your desires with your surgeon. The implant companies now offer a wide variety of options for you. You may want to consider higher profile implants, as the diameter is smaller and the projection is higher, thus giving you more upper pole fullness and minimizing the "side boob" you mentioned. 

At the end of the day, you must have long and detailed communication with your surgeon. 

Please call our office if you would like to come in to discuss this any further.  It would be my pleasure.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation, from an anatomic standpoint.  During your consultation, implant size (range) will be determined after measurements are taken.  

Dennis Dass, MD

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

What would be the best implant choice for me if I am wanting to get upper fullness without side boob and a wide gap?

Right now your nipple areolar area is too high so I would suggest a silicone implant placed under the muscle about 250-300 to help fill the upper pole of your breasts and make the nipple areolar appear in a more appropriate location.

Fred Suess, MD

What would be the best breast implant choice?

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Sometimes, patients who have undergone previous breast lifting or reduction surgery, benefit from further "tightening" of the breast "envelope" (to improve overall aesthetic and longevity outcomes) at the time of breast augmentation surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “ full, perky breasts” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Choosing an implant is based on your goal look and the measurements of your breasts. To improve upper pole fullness, you may consider a silicone implant with a higher fill ratio such as Sientra or Natrelle Inspira. With these implants there is less loss of upper pole volume compared implants with a lower fill ratio.  With a lower fill ratio, the silicone tends to fall to the bottom of the implant when standing. Discuss your goals with your surgeon during your consult. 

What would be the best implant choice for me if I am wanting to get upper fullness without side boob and a wide gap

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Questions

Hello,It's not the implant choice that's really important, its the implant dimensions, width, height, and projection that will give you the necessary improvements.  Your breasts are overall very attractive, with just mild asymmetry in the nipple to fold distance, so an implant should make a nice improvement without having to be too big. Measuring your dimensions will help your surgeon pick the right size implant, based on linear dimensions, not volume. Your choice of implants include saline (not recommended), silicone gel, and highly cohesive, shaped silicone gel. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon