I had a double mastectomy three 1/2 weeks ago. Should I see my surgeon to have the fluid drained?

My drains were removed 4-days ago. I now have fluid collecting at each breast site with a lot of pressure with moderate pain.

Fluid collections after double mastectomy

It is not uncommon to experience fluid collections after a mastectomy. Sometimes it is necessary to have several follow-up visits with your surgeon to have this fluid removed. Normally the removal is painless and straightforward. You should contact your surgeon and express your concerns.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Fluid collections after bilateral mastectomy

You should call your surgeon today and discuss your concerns.  Even though it is a holiday weekend, this concern should be discussed without delay.  Your surgeon can then decide on the most appropriate time to see you for an examination.

Timothy Connall, MD

Fluid after drain removal

I would recommend contacting your plastic surgeon’s office.It can happen that after expander based reconstruction, a seroma can form and at times this needs to be drained.Best of Luck.