How to Remove a Vertical Hypertrophic Scar on my Forehead?

I always have to use my bangs to cover my scar. It's so ugly, wide, and pink. What are my best options to severely reduce the appearance of my scar? Is it really necessary to wait a year after my trauma to get a scar revision? It has been 4 months since my accident, and I want to be able to show my forehead without constantly using my bangs to cover it. Please don't mind the pimples on my forehead. It's so strange that I'm breaking out around my scar.

Doctor Answers 2

Scar on forehead

I don't a picture attached, but since the scar is only four months old, it is possible that a steroid injection could help with the healing and make it less noticeable.  If that doesn't help, then most likely you will need a surgical scar revision.  I would see a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to have your scar evaluated and see if the injection might help.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

How to Remove a Vertical Hypertrophic Scar on my Forehead?

Unfortunately, I don't see any attached images. Typically for significantly widened, atrophic scars, the best and only option for improvement is a surgical scar revision during which the scar is cut out and repaired leaving a finer, less noticeable surgical scar. Lasers, tattoos, creams and fillers can be used but are typically less effective on the widened, sunken, white colored scar tissue. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.