Remove Mole on the Face, Afraid of how the Scar Will Look, Suggestions?

I have a big mole about an inch in my nose in the right side, for the last 20 years I been debating if I should remove it or not. I am afraid on how the scar will heal or how it will look on my face after the surgery, Please any suggestion. DO you think that I rather have my big mole or an ugly scar on my face, Please need help on any suggestion Thanks

Doctor Answers 3

Best ways to remove moles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depending on its size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which using both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result.  Dermatologic surgeons, not plastic surgeons, typically do both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique.

Mole Removal from Face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many skin-colored moles (or nevi) on the face can be removed easily with very good cosmetic results. Shave removal or tangential excision of the nevus generally leaves a flat scar that blends in well. Nevi with more pigmentation can be removed in the same manner, but frequently these types of nevi need to be excised and sutured. No matter how you remove it, the procedure leaves a scar. The key element is to remove it so that the resulting scar blends in well and looks better than the preexisting nevus.  It's impossible to give an opinion about this over the internet. Your best option is to see a doctor who performs a lot of these types of surgeries and let them evaluate your specific nevus (mole), skin type, location, etc. Dermatologists, plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons with a lot of experience in these types of procedures would be your best bet. Good luck.

Mole removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend that you see either a facial plastic surgeon or a dermatologic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.