Remove Drowsy Look, Should I Do Eyelid Surgery, Eye Bags Treatment, or Others? (photo)

Since junior high my eye corners keep on getting darker and people thought i'm drowsy except not. Also the triple eyelids look sleepy. I've been using creams like Hylexin, Nadincola, and recently Biotherm Hydra-detox Yeux, but none of them really worked, only the skin adjacent got unintentionally lightened. On the verge of grad school graduation I'm really worried about the drowsy look turning me down in job interviews. So I wonder which surgery(s) should I get to improve the problem? Thx.

Doctor Answers 5

Options for tired eyes.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is important to rule out any allergies and thyroid problems as causes of the puffiness and appearance of being tired.  Once medical conditions are treated, the transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty can be done to remove bags in the lower lids.  This is performed under a brief general anesthesia.

Drowsy in Houston (Detroit would have been better!)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think it is interesting that you describe having  dark circles under your eyes since junior high school. When I hear this from patients I am usually thinking that they have a negative vector to their lower eyelids. By this I mean that the lower orbital rim sits too far posteriorly.  Of course, an exam would be needed, however I have had great success using Flowers  Implants to permanently enhance and augment the lower lids and tear trough area. Dr. Flowers is in Hawaii, but his contribution in this area of the literature has been very good.  I would be a bit circumspect in using filler if the lower eyelid skin is very thin. Other causes of dark circles can be increased pigmentation which you appear to have as well. Here I suggest using a compounding pharmacy through a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to put together a cream containing a higher concentration of hydroquinone, Retin-A and a mild steroid. All of this would be contingent on an exam.

Gosh, I am not seeing what you are seeing.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am simply not seeing drowsy.  You do have a mild under eye circle.  This could be very effectively helped with under eye filler.  The upper eyelids do have a lateral fold duplication and it is possible a very conservative procedure could clean this up but this would require an in person consultation to assess for sure.  The skin care products do next to nothing for the dark circle so don't spend a fortune on these products.  An affordable eye or face cream will do the same job.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You might also like...

Conservative treatment of eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The most outstanding feature is the dark appearance of your lower eyelids.  The darkness is accentuated by the tear trough deformity.  You may want to try consider a soft tissue filler such as juvederm or restylane.  This may help decrease the shadowing of your lower eyelids.  A small skin excision may help correct the creases of your upper eyelids.  

Surgery vs filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First of all, let me assure you that you eyelids will not adversely affect your job interviews.

You have a slight "tear trough" deformity that is is accentuated by slightly volume deficient midface. Fillers would be an ideal start for your for your lower eyelids to mask that shadowing that your are noticing.

For your upper eyelids, a very conservative skin only blepharoplasty would address your multiple eyelid  crease. Look for an experienced surgeon with Asian eyelid expertise. You can find an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics Surgeon near you at ASOPRS dot org

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.