Do I need a revision? (photos)

I had ptosis repair a month ago, and this is what my right eye looks like when I close it. My surgeon tells me go keep massaging it down, which Im concerned about. I cant fully close my eyes without making an effort to it. Please let me know if I need a revision. My surgeon said that it was overcorrected and massaging it will go down. But Im really worried that massaging wont help.

Eyelid Massaging

Thank you for your question and photo! Keep massaging your eyes and make sure you are following all post op instructions from your doctor.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel

Double Board Certified

Plastic Surgeon

Chicago

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Revision for over-corrected ptosis

If you notice any improvement after one month, then it might be worthwhile to wait a little longer. On the other hand, if you have noticed no improvement at all, and are uncomfortable, then you could proceed with revision. A second opinion is an option, particularly if your current surgeon has not offered revision. Best wishes with your decision.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would have taken you back to the operating room.

Your surgeon choose to recommend massage and this appears to be working to a degree.  Still you have an A frame contour deformation in the eyelid margin.  In my experience, which is extensive, it is nearly impossible to completely smooth this type of contour issue with massage.  Still it is far too early from surgery to recommend revisional surgery.  Ideally one does revision early.  Now that you are a month out from surgery, ideally now you will heal at least 6 months before having this revised.  The revision is challenging but not impossible.  I do not recommend letting your current surgeon do this repair.

Retraction following ptosis repair

Thank you for sharing your photographs in question. Massaging the eyelid might help your problem. There can be certain causes of the problem which might not be correctable without surgery. Follow up with your doctor in another two months.  Good luck,