Follow-up Question - Doctor prefers HP smooth round, but everyone says they are fake looking. Advice? (photos)

Along with my original question I forgot to mention that high profile smooth round are what my doctor prefers using but everyone makes it like high profile are fake looking.

To see previous question, please click here.

Follow-up Question - Doctor prefers HP smooth round, but everyone says they are fake looking. Advice

There are only a few patients that can look natural in a high profile breast augmentation. Normal breasts do not have that degree of projection and narrowness at the same time, making them potentially looking fake

Advice for implants

For your frame I think the HP is the right round implant for your.  It will however look quite....round. I think you would do very well with shaped implants.  You have little natural breast tissue to give you shape and therefore need help with shape and volume.  A shaped implant will give you both. 

HP implants

The vast majority of breast implants that I perform are high profile silicone implants for patients such as pictured here. Implants with lower profile, inserted in breasts with minimal projection, tend to look flat and wide, rather than narrow and projected. Also, With as little volume as pictured here, saline implants would have a higher incidence or ripples. 

HP implant have their place

but its harder to achieve 'natural', but implants are not natural anyway.  Your surgeon must be choosing HP due to your choice of volume but if HP is all he does, find another surgeon.  Your surgeon should choose the profile that fits your body based on the volume you want.  If HP does it, then go with it or downsize (which is not why you have to be certain of look you want) to the MP models and less volume.  Bottom line, its your choice and you should do what is best for you and not for what others may think.

Curtis Wong, MD

HP implants

I also prefer high profile implants for breast augmentation if using silicone implants (not if using saline implants). They do not give a "fake" look and may work best for you as you have a narrow chest. HP implants will give you the most volume with the narrowest base width which will work well for you.

Good luck,

Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

You have precious little breast tissue or fat, so your choice in implant size is probably more important than implant profile in how it will affect your appearance, i.e. 'fake' versus 'natural'.  HP is more likely to make you look fake, but so is any implant that is too large for your tight and lean tissues. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that use tissue based implant selection to ensure a good result. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

It depends on the volume.

The high profile round implants can create an attractive look if they are not too large, given your small frame.  The Natrelle Inspira gel would be what I recommend because there will be less rippling of the implants.  If you stay with a C-cup size, you will look fine; anything larger and you may feel like the implants are to high, full and round.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Worried high profile implants will look fake.

Hello, the majority of my patients choose round gel implants that are either moderate or full profile, and most are not looking for a fake look.  Some studies have indicated that the difference in the outcome with either round or teardrop implants are similar.  However, if you are wondering if teardrop shaped implants are an option in your case, you could discuss this with your surgeon or seek another consult in person.  It is not possible to give detailed advice without a proper consult and examination.

Follow-up Question - Doctor prefers HP smooth round, but everyone says they are fake looking. Advice?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "fake looking" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.