Botox was ineffective on my "11s" but fillers smoothed them out. Can I just get fillers without Botox first?

My dermatologist advise me to get Botox and then fillers a month later for my DEEP between th brows 11s. The Botox was basically an effective and got me very sick but the fillers moved out the area (maximum 2 months before it wore off). Can I just get fillers and no Botox?

It’s better to do both on the frown lines if Botox alone didn’t produce the effect you wanted.

It’s better to do both on the frown lines if Botox alone didn’t produce the effect you wanted. It’s likely a coincidence that you got sick after having Botox; usually Botox does not cause significant side effects. Botox stops the muscle movement that causes the wrinkles in the first place, while fillers can be used to smooth out any remaining static wrinkles that still appear even after the Botox has taken effect. Fillers alone won’t address the root of the problem, and won’t last as long as if you had Botox done first. Always be sure to visit a board-certified dermatologist with years of experience treating this area, as it is considered a high risk area for fillers.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Thanks for your question. Botox is a temporary neuroparalytic that is used to eliminate wrinkles in the periorbital and forehead area. Its also works well for softening the 11s (corrugated muscle). Fillers are used to add volume to the face and also deal with dipper folds and lines such as the smile lines and marionette lines. In addition filler can be used for filling the tear trough deformity and adding volume to the cheeks and lips. Please consult with your plastic surgeon to review the best options available for you.
Good Luck.

Ali Sadeghi, MD, FACS
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Botox for filler fofrown "11" s

Sorry to hear that you had issues with Botox. It is very unusual to get sick from it. But you could try Dysport or xeomin instead. The best result initially, if your "11"s are really deep, is to use both, the muscle attenuators and a filler. Once you become a regular user you will not need the filler as the lines will gradually weaken and the effect lasts longer and longer.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers for the 11's/Glabella

Ideally you should have the glabella treated with Botox first for the 11's.  Once frozen, the filler will stay longer and not move.  Best, Dr. Green

Fillers to treat 11's

You can just use fillers for the 11's but it last longer if you use it in conjunction with Botox to relax the muscle and helps soften the line.

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. You can just use fillers, although that muscle will continue to function and create the wrinkle without the use of Botox. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Glabella and Forehead Wrinkles -- Botox/Dysport and Fillers

Yes you can use fillers but often the fillers dont stay long without the botox to stop the muscle from pushing on the fillers.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fillers for glabella area

Fillers do something different than Botox. They fill the depression but don't stop the movement like Botox does. Without stopping the muscle movement, the furrows will never improve long term. I suspect that when you said Botox doesn't work, what you saw was minimal improvement in the static lines (during rest). I would continue with both treatments. What you need to know is that filler in this area has potential for higher risk of vascular occlusion with subsequent skin necrosis. Some doctors neglect to fully inform their patients of this risk. Also, sickness was probably not related to Botox.  See link

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fillers for 11's

Most of the time it is best to combine Botox with filler in the glabella because the filler will last longer if the muscle activity is reduced with Botox.  The glabella is an area that is considered higher risk for complications from fillers. Personally I would only inject an HA filler is this area that can be reversed if necessary.  I like Belotero here and I inject superficially to avoid any blood vessels.  Make sure to see a filler expert, preferably a physician who understands the anatomy of this area.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Solutions for deep 11s

The combination of filler and Botox is best. Your sickness is probably not related to Botox. A good alternative to Botox is Dysport, you may try that next time. You can also try Bellafill for a filler that is guaranteed to last at least 5 years for the deep frown furrows.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon