Will 450cc 13cm HP allergen silicone be too big for my body?

Im only 5'2 and 120lbs with a 32A cup and my surgeon gave me 2 sizes to choose from: 375cc mid profile and 450cc high profile. Originally I went with the 450, but now I am really struggling on if I made the right decision. I will be getting 13cm implants. Ive talked to the surgeon and nurse and they both said there isnt a major difference between the 2 implants, however I am just looking to have a full C, small D cup, but I am TERRIFIED of being top heavy. Which should I choose?

Use external sizers to help you visualize what your results will be

and whatever size you like in your bra, it should be increased by 10% to better approximate the look that you saw with the sizer in your unlined bra cup.  450 cc's does sound generous on a 5'2' frame but everyone has a different ideal of what is perfect so go with your desires and choose what you want.  Your surgeon can provide better insight as to whether it will make you look top heavy or not.

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link

Will 450cc 13cm HP Allergan silicone be too big for my body?

Unfortunately, without a physical exam it is difficult to say whether or not a 450cc implant will be too larger for you.  That said, I would ask your surgeon to let you try on the various implant sizes in a bra.  This should give you a very good idea as to what you can expect.  Allergan makes a large variety of breast implant sizes between 375 cc and 450 cc.  Ask your surgeon if you can try on the implants between 375 and 450 as well.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Sizing Questions

Only a thorough exam will determine if that implant is feasible for you.  No one can guarantee cup size, and it's just a bad way to 'measure' your breasts, so stop thinking about cups.  Instead, have in office sizing performed with your doctor with an unpadded bra in front of the mirror to determine what looks good to you. 

If you are TERRIFIED of being top heavy, 450 cc is probably not your implant. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

No one can pick implants for a patient without an exam but based solely on your height and weight, if you are worried about being to big it just makes sense to go with the 375cc implants. Even those are pretty full on a body of your proportions. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Without a face-to-face examined and it is impossible to predict accurately the outcome of your surgery however I always choose to make the actual choice of implant a decision made only during the surgery and not in advance.  450 ccs sounds fairly large to me and MAY be bigger than you seek if you're terrified of being too top heavy.  Either ask your surgeon to use sizers during the surgery for him/her to actually see the results before choosing, or seek opinions from other doctors.  I personally feel that there is a big difference between 375 and 450 ccs.  Watch the video above for info on how I choose my implant sizes and best of luck to you.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast size

Without seeing photos or examining you in person it is impossible to tell what size may fit or not fit, depending on you anatomy and desires.  I ask patients to bring in photos of breasts that they like and don't like). From experience, 450 cc is a large implant for someone with your height.  In addition, high profile implants sacrifice cleavage for projection.  I try to avoid them at all costs.  I'd recommend that your surgeon be a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plasic Surgery.

Tim Neavin, MD

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C-D and a 36 C-D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is no direct correlation between implant number of cc's and cup size in any particular patient.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Smaller

I would reconsider with your surgeon the size again. Going smaller will allow the breast to have less stretch marks and skin loosening over time.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizing

Thanks for your inquiry.  There is a difference of approximately 1 cm of projection in these implants.  The more projection the more likely you achieve a higher letter bra size C,D,etc.  Unfortunately, the term "top heavy" is very subjective and I have had patients with much smaller implant think they were "top heavy."  Please revisit with your surgeon and try on some sizers again.  Good Luck.