Can I Reduce the Size of the Whole Area Around my Nipple Without Surgery? (Im a Boy)

Im 15 and my areolas i think their called have been really large for a few years and i was wondering if i could pop or cut them myself without havin to have a surgery of some sort they'e really embarresing and i just want them gone. I havent gone to a pool or taken my shirt off since they've been like this and i just want them gone without anyone knowing.

Doctor Answers 6

Do Not Perform Your Own Surgery

Thank you for your question.

#Gynecomastia occurs in up to 2/3 of boys going through #puberty.  In 90% of boys this goes away after about three years.  If you are very concerned about the appearance of your #areolas and #nipples, "puffy nipple" surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent.

Please do not do anything foolish.  Consult a #boardcertified #plasticsurgeon in person to determine the best options for your specific case.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Areolas Reduction without Surgery


Thanks for the post. To reduce the areolas requires surgery. There is absolutely no way this can or should be done in any other setting but an operating room by an experienced plastic surgeon. Significant, irreversible damage can be done, not to mention infection, bleeding, and possibly worse.  This is something that can be corrected so I highly suggest you discuss this with a parent no matter how embarrassing it may be. Your parent then should make an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss if you are a candidate for surgery.


Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Areolar reduction

Large areola can be embarresing, especially for a boy.  There is no way for you to do this at home, please do not try anything foolish.  Surgical options are very effective with minimal scarring.

Talmage Raien MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Areolar reduction

Areolar reduction is not possible without surgery. Please, please do not try to operate on yourself in any way as this could result in permanent disfigurement and possible infection. Discuss your concerns with your parents and/or your pediatrician. If you have gynecomastia, or male breast enlargement, then a workup by an endocrinologist to rule out a hormonal disorder would be appropriate.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

How to reduce the areola

I understand your concerns. Unfortunately there is not any way you will be able to reduce the size without surgery. Perhaps you can discuss your situation with your parents and you could schedule a consultation with a Plastic surgeon. 

Ronald Schuster, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Gynecomastia Concerns…

 I'm sorry to hear about the difficult  time you had because of the concerns about the chest area. Hopefully, you are aware that this is not an uncommon problem and with time and/or treatment you can expect significant improvement.

You should absolutely not consider any type of intervention on yourself; instead, discuss your concerns with a parent or another adult that you  feel comfortable with. One such person may be your family practitioner/pediatrician.

With some support, you will be able to find the help that you are looking for. Many of the changes you experience  at your age will resolve with time or can be treated medically.

 Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,499 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.