What is the average cost of a mommy makeover in the Bellevue, WA? And how long do I need to wait after having my 2nd baby?

Am a 27 year old pregnant woman already mother to an 11 month old baby girl. I have gained and lost a great amount of weight in the last 1.5 years with my first pregnancy. I now have a lot of loose skin and stretch marks and loss of breast tissue/ fat. I want a mommy makeover with a full tummy tuck and breast Aug. w/ lifting. I was hoping to find the average cost for this in the bellevuw, WA area and also how long should you wait after giving birth, either vaginally or by C-sec. Any info helps!

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, it is likely that you will be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point. Generally best to wait at least six months to one year after delivery, once you have reached your long-term stable weight. By that time, your newborn will be older and more self-sufficient.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
  I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes for an uneventful delivery and a healthy new baby.

When to Schedule a Mommy Makeover & the Costs

It's suggested to wait at least 6 months after pregnancy to undergo a Mommy Makeover. Additionally, your weight should also be stable for at least 6 months.
#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees. Approximate #costs can be found here on the Real Self website, Surgery.org, or PlasticSurgery.org. Also, the costs are contingent on the specific #procedures being combined in the operation. Such will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation. Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

The costs for Tummy Tuck or Mommy Makeover will vary depending on what region of the US you live in, the physician doing the surgery and the combination of procedures. The cost can usually be broken down in to the surgical fee, the operating room fee, and the anesthesia fee. As the OR and anesthesia often charge by the hour, these fees can vary depending on how long it takes to do the procedure. Someone very petite with no fat (just loose skin) will take less time than someone larger. Total costs in the Bay Area probably range from under 10K to close to 15K or 20K. Depending on your insurance plan, repair of a hernia at the same time may be covered as well as some or all of the OR and anesthesia costs. This can vary widely. Select a plastic surgeon you are comfortable with who will take great care of you and has the talent to deliver the results you are looking for. Don't make price the deciding factor but take it into overall consideration.

Good luck! Dean Vistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Timing of mommy makeover after having a baby.

This is a great question.  Timing is very important especially with a tummy tuck which is usually part of a mommy makeover.  I ask my patients not to lift anything (including a baby) over 20 pounds for the first 6 weeks after surgery.  It is important not to put stress on the stitches that strengthen the abdominal muscles.  Babies grow really fast and your little one may be 20 pounds before you know it. 

And then there is the breast feeding issue.  Mommy makeover usually involves some sort of breast procedure and I like my patients to have weaned their little one at least three months before surgery.  So if you breast feed for a year like the lactation Nazis recommend by the time your breasts are ready for surgery, your little one is over 20 pounds.  Bummer.

If you don't nurse you child, you could have surgery as early as three months after childbearing but what a stress fest that would be for you and whoever is helping you.   Major surgery with two kids under 2 to care for?  Yikes.  This is something I would not wish on anyone.  

I really think the best approach is to wait until the youngest is a little bit independent.  Usually about age 2, a child can be moved to a toddler bed and can usually climb into a car seat on his or her own so there will not be any urgent need to lift the child (you can change diapers on the floor). 

No matter the timing of a mommy makeover, you will need to arrange lots of help.  The recovery is not the easiest and you will be fatigued for about 6 weeks after surgery.  Get some help and then get some more help.  I recently did a tummy tuck on a very fit and healthy young mom and she just had a very, very tough recovery because her family didn't help her nearly as much as they should have.  Her recovery was prolonged because she just could not get the rest she needed.  Don't be her!

As far as prices go?  It really depends on what you will be having done.  I have price ranges posted on my web site. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Costs of a mommy makeover

Surgery should be delayed until at least 6-9 months after your last child is born. Costs depend on what surgery is needed because there is no one MM operation. Usually a tummy tuck is needed but the breasts may need lifts, p,plants or even reductions so costs vary. They also vary from surgeon to surgeon. Please understand that no 2 surgeons will give the same results so price should be the last consideration.