1 year post op upper and lower bleph. My eyes hurt. They are irritated and goopy all the time. What can I do? (Photo)

Makeup seems to make it worse, especially lower lash mascara and eyeliner. Using lubricating eye drops, removing all makeup every night (NEVER used to). Saw Optometrist, said my eyelids barely close shut and could have infection, saw my plastic surgeon, he suggested allergies and to change my pillow (fail). Sensitive to light, feels like I have an eyelash in my eyes most of the time. Losing my almond shape was bad enough, but constant irritation is much worse.

This is chronic dry eye and corneal exposure after blepharoplasty.

The lower eyelid is vertically compromised and does not ride as high on the eye as it did before lower blepharoplasty.  This contributes to chronic corneal drying.  This is addressed with aesthetic lower eyelid reconstruction to reposition the lower eyelid higher on the eye surface.  The lower eyelid should meet the bottom of the colored part of the eye.  The outer corner of the eye should be higher than the inner corner of the eyelids.  In addition to this the upper eyelid is hollow.  However, this should no be addressed until the lower eyelids are repaired.  This generally will make the eye much more comfortable and help restore the almond shape of the eyes.  Please consider see an actual oculoplastic surgeon for immediate medical management of your dry eye status rather than an optometrist not qualified to render an opinion or mange the situation.  My free ebook cited below discusses these repairs in detail.

Eyelid retraction

Post blepharoplasty syndrome can lead to poor upper eyelid blink, lower eyelid retraction, and canthal malposition. These issues can lead to dry eye syndrome or  tearing, burning, irritation. Often these symptoms and signs will resolve with time, but often need to be addressed surgically. Consultation with an experienced Oculofacial/Oculoplastics surgeon would be helpful.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1 year post op upper and lower bleph. My eyes hurt. They are irritated and goopy all the time. What can I do?

Your lower lid is too low.  It should extend to the iris.  This can happen after lower lid blepharoplasty and it often gets better on its own as the scar softens.  Yours has not.  I would recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon who can help with a procedure that will secure your lower lid in a better position.  This is much preferable than just treating the symptoms.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Dry eyes - lagophthalmos

You have symptoms of exposure keratopathy - light sensitivity/ photophobia, foreign body sensation. Lubrication drops help briefly, but you may want to add lubricating ointment at night - on the lids and in the eyes. This will blur the vision, but if you do this at bedtime, it will keep you comfortable overnight. In the morning, flush with drops or eyewash and use compresses. Other options include blocking the punctal opening on the upper or lower lid to keep the tears in the eyes better. You may want to see an ophthalmologist for evaluation and advice for long term management. Best wishes for improvement.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon