Injected hyaluronic acid serum in cheeks; been 3 days & I have 2 hard lumps. Can they be removed or are they permanent? (Photos)

I injected hyaluronic acid serum in my cheeks it's been 3 days and I have to hard lumps and my face is swollen I've taken antibiotics, and massaged my face. My face is dry and has been peeling Is there anything that can help remove the lumps. Or can hyaluronidase help remove my lumps and if so . Will and dr be willing to touch my face?

Self injected hyaluronic acid serum

Hyaluronidase is not going to help this. You have created a significant tissue injury, which may behave like a chemical burn. This is a fairly large area of your cheek. I suggest you see a plastic surgeon for assistance with wound management. Going forward you may need treatment for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and possible scarring. 

The hyaluronic acid in injectable dermal fillers is mixed with a medical grade gel. It is precisely engineered (particle size, pH, and other physics parameters like G prime...) and sterile for injection. Topical hyaluronic acid serums are, as you now know, entirely different. They are not appropriate for injection and are mixed with other substances and carriers which are not meant for injection, in addition to not being sterile. Most are used to attract water to the surface of the skin, giving the appearance of moisture.

Don't delay getting medical attention due to embarassment or fear that a doctor won't touch you. We have all had our "bad moves" in life. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician