What can I do to improve my profile and jawline? A chin implant or a jaw implant? (Photo)

In photos the bottom portion of my face is too small for the upper portions of my face. My chin seems to be too small and everything blends in with my neck giving me a double chin at times my jawline is nonexistent. I want to add vertical height and create a lot of definition but I'm not sure of the procedure. Would a mandible angle jaw implant do the job or would an extended anatomical chin implant work? I hear jaw implants are too risky. Would a chin implant even help me achieve such a look

Improving My Profile

Your chin projection and jawline definition can be  improved with chin augmentation, preferably with a silicone chin/jowl implant. These pictures don't show that a mandible angle implant would be beneficial.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Improving your Profile

Dear michaenguyen6, Further photographs would be helpful in determining the best way to provide improvement to your profile as well as your overall facial aesthetics.  A chin augmentation would provide some further projection and possible buccal fat pad removal would provide a more chiseled appearance to your jawline. An in office examination would be needed to determine the best course of action or further photographs. See some examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin and/or jaw augmentation

Your photos do not give enough information for good analysis of your face. A full face photo, profile and straight would help. In cases like yours a clinical evaluation is mandatory.Yous should seek a consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial rejuvenation and facial implants and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

What can I do to improve my profile and jawline? A chin implant or a jaw implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.