Best technique for internal lift during breast implant removal (explant only). Suturing or special cauterizing technique?

I am a 48 year old female, in good physical shape. non smoker (5'4 108lbs) wishing to have 9 year old, under muscle, 310 gummy bear silicone breast implants removed. I was originally a 34 C after surgery and now a 34DD (no weight gain). I consulted two Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. One would use sutures and the other one a new cauterizing technique to internally reconstruct the breast. I do not want external mastopexy at this time. I will wait 3-6 months then decide if I want small implant.

Please send pictures

If you have breast tissue sagging off the implants,  internal lift will not lift the breast tissue. I would suggest implant removal first and then wait few months before next step. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

The implant certainly can be removed, and sometimes the capsule is removed as well. I will say that if you do not have sagging breasts and have little native breast tissue, in many cases you are better off waiting to see how the breasts settle before considering  a formal lift.

Best technique for internal lift during breast implant explant?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Depending on the internal lift required I would favor a combination of cauterization techniques to remove any existing implant capsule and sutures to help close down any dead space that may exist.  Hope this helps answer your question

Best technique for internal lift during breast implant removal (explant only).

Thank you for the question.  Sometimes, during breast implant removal surgery, it is helpful to adjust certain anatomic features ( example infra mammary fold or native breast tissues) at the time of breast implant removal surgery. In my practice, I find that this is most reliably done utilizing sutures. Frankly, I do not think that there is anything "new" or reliable about cauterizing techniques.

My best suggestion to patients considering this type of surgery: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery. Best wishes

Best technique for internal lift during breast implant removal

Thank you for your question.  It all depends on what is revealed at the time of surgery.  I would allow my trusted board certified plastic surgeon to use their judgement and experience to deliver the best results.  

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Why not do both?

The cautery techniques certainly tighten capsule but I use both to get the best chance of success.  Little reason to only do suturing when cauterization is easy and effective.  Good luck!