Is Juvederm ok for tear troughs?

I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon and he agreed to do the procedure, but he only uses Juvederm. From all of the reviews I've read that Restylane is better. I've had Restylane done before but I don't think it was put in deep enough/I didn't really notice a difference. I am a 26 yo female.

Juverderm in tear troughs...

Juvederm can be used in the tear troughs but it has to be very conservative because if too much is used, it can absorb water which will give a swollen look for several weeks. That problem doesn't occur with Restylane Silk so that is why many people prefer it. The important thing is what the practitioner is comfortable with, but a highly experienced injector can work with any of the fillers.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Tear Trough Fillers

This is a great question, thank you for sharing. Restylane is generally the preferred product for the tear trough region because it causes the least amount of swelling in this area compared with other products. In contrast, Juvederm is considered a hydrophilic, or water loving, and commonly leads to excess swelling under the eyes after injections. Thus, Restylane tends to look more natural in the tear trough hollows. I also like to use the microcannula technique for injecting fillers, which is essentially bruise-less and allows fillers to be injected evenly. With regards to your previous experience, it is possible that your last treatment with Restylane was not sufficient for visible improvement. In the future, I recommend following up with our injector after two weeks to assess your results and to discuss whether more filler is necessary to achieve your desired aesthetic.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Tear troughs

Dear Breewylder,

While I prefer Restylane in the tear troughs, the most important thing is that YOU want it.  And, in general, it is NOT a good idea to try to strong arm a doctor into doing what you want.  A doctor will get the best results using the materials or technique with which he/she has the most experience. Find another doctor.  No need to try to fit a round peg in a square hole.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

A Plastic Surgeon Only Uses Juvederm?

There is really no reason, other than a financial relationship, for a Surgeon who performs a lot of fillers, to exclusively use Juvederm.   Some Surgeons will align themselves with specific companies because of their preference in breast implants.  Every filler has unique characteristics, so an injector with experience and who has a busy injectable practice, will rarely only use one product.  Juvederm, although a fantastic filler for the lips and nasolabial folds, is very hydrophilic which draws water into the injected area. This is not desirable in the tear troughs.  Restylane, Belotero, or even Volbella (also made by Allergan) would be preferable to Juvederm for this application. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough

I feel that juvaderm is too thick a filler for the tear trough.  I would recommend another one such as restalyne silk. The tear trough has very  thin skin and the orbital bone is very close to the surface.  If a thick filler is used you can get some lumpiness and it not look smooth.  Thanks for the question. 

Juvederm for tear troughs?

I prefer Restylane or Belotero in the tear trough.  I do most of my tear trough injections using a cannula instead of a needle.  This minimize the risk for bruising or other problems. Juvederm has a higher risk for causing swelling in this area.  The tear trough is considered an advanced area to inject but is actually one of my favorite areas to treat with fillers.

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in the Tear Troughs

Each specialist you talk with will have their own opinion (usually based on their experience).  I feel that Restylane is best for the tear troughs.  Juvederm can lead to a lot of prolonged swelling when used in the tear troughs.   

Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for Tear Trough

You need to discuss with the surgeon you consulted about which Juvederm he/she intends to use. Juvederm Ultra and Volbella are not reasonable choices for the under eye area. However, Juvederm Voluma is an excellent choice for this area. The only other reasonable filler for this area other than fat is Radiesse. Restylane should also not be used there. To reduce the risk of significant swelling, any filler should be placed below the orbital septum (connection between the orbital rim and eyelid margin) and deep. Juvederm Ultra and Radiesse are too soft to place in this position. Make sure whoever you choose has significant experience in treating this area. (See plasticsurgerytoday.com/non-surgical/todays-liquid-lift-wrinkle-and-contour-correction/)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Which fillers are recommended for the tear trough area #restalyne and #juvederm

Thank you for your question about which filler is preferred for the tear trough area.  In our office we offer both Restalyne as well as Juvederm for filling the tear trough area.  This is an excellent question to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the best.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tear troughs

Thank you for your question. We use both Juvederm and Restylane products in our office and both are great. I do prefer to use Restylane in the tear troughs due to risk of swelling from Juvederm ultra. Juvederm Voluma, reconstituted with lidocaine to thin it out can be a good alternative for tear trough area as well. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist