MOM Recovery Time for Someone Working from Home?

I work from home and thinking about a Mommy Makeover. Most likely a BA w/lift and TT w/little lipo (maybe no need for lipo). How long should I give myself before resuming work? Because I work from home there will be no driving. I can move my desk and computer to my bedroom so short walk from bed to desk and no stairs. My job consist of data entry and I will be on the phone most of the day (I wear headset for phone). I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse to arrange myself comfortably.

Time off of work from a Mommy Makeover depends on your occupation

It sounds like you may be able to start working within 2-3 days once the anesthesia clears your system.  Having performed many Mommy Makeovers, my patients tend to take off 2-3 weeks from work if the work involves a lot of activity/walking/lifting.  However, it sounds like you have the perfect job that will allow a quick return to work after a Mommy Makeover.  Kind regards, Dr. Schreiber...Baltimore Plastic Surgeon.

Recovery from Mommy Makeover

Recovery time after any surgery can vary.  If you have good aerobic conditioning,good health, and are in a good state of mind you will do better than those who lack those strengths. If you have a good pain threshold and do not reqire excess narcotics your brain will begin to function more quickly and your energy will come back faster.  Being able to wrk from home is a big advantage.  If you are able to allow yourself a week to ten days to recover that would be good.  If you can start with half days to see how your energy holds up , that is an advantage.  Good luck!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Working from home after a tummy tuck and mommie makeover

Thank you for your question.  It's great that you're planning in advance to make sure that you have adequate recovery time.  I find that so many patients don't give themselves enough time to recover.

The combination that you're describing is extraordinary common in my practice.  Usually the rate limiting step is the tummy tuck which tends to have the longest recovery.  For an average patient who needs to be out and about after surgery most people take off about 10 to 14 days because of the tummy tuck portion.

Because you work at home you could likely be performing your job much sooner depending upon how you feel and your tolerance for discomfort.  I've had patients work out of their house even within a few days after surgery even though they certainly would not feel up to going to the office.

It's best to be on the safe side and plan about five days at least, but depending upon how you feel you could certainly be back to work out of the house sooner.

In my own practice I generally do not use pain pumps, but if you need to be back to work sooner a pain pump might decrease your reliance on narcotics and have less impact on your ability to perform your work from home.  This is something you may wish to discuss with your surgeon.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.   Your surgeon will determine if you are  a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam.   In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted.   After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.   In terms of resuming work from home (taking calls and working on your laptop), I would suggest taking 3-5 days off after your surgery.  Within a few days, you should be OK to work from home (no strenuous activity).  Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.   Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Recovery from home after mommy makeover

Give yourself at least 4-5 days to recover at home and avoid any heavy lifting of over 15 lbs for about 3 weeks.  You will feel a lot better after your drains are removed from your tummy tuck.  Don't forget to wear your compression garments as directed by your surgeon.  Take care and good luck and enjoy your results!

Recovery for mommy makeover for "work from home mom"

Great description of what you do. I would expect that you could get back to some of your work by 3-4 days. Give yourself a couple of days to get comfortable and figure it out.

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Returning to Activity

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy makeover recovery time

Mommy makeover recovery time will depends on 1) your pain threshold, 2) overall physical and mental health, and 3) complexity of surgery.  Given that you are working from home, as long as you are not affected by pain medicine, you should be able to resume working within couple days.  Please remember to ambulate every couple hours to prevent DVT.  Best wishes.

Returning to home employment after mommy make-over

After a mommy make-over involving breast augmentation with mastopexy (lift) and tummy tuck with hip liposuction, it is reasonable to think that you may not feel like working, even from home for a week or two. Always check with your plastic surgeon when you will be allowed to resume normal activities, even if it is just 'working from home'. In general, I allow my mommy make-over patients to be up and about immediately after surgery. I do not allow any strenous activity that involves the core abdominal muscles, for 3 months from surgery because I often plicate (stitch internally) these muscles in order to maximize the surgical results. It generally takes about 3 months for the muscle to be fully healed.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

“Recovery time” will vary from one patient to another depending on the  exact procedures performed, the patient's medical/psychological baseline health,  and overall “attitude”. 

Since you are about to undergo major surgery (involving significant physical and psychological recovery) and seem like a very “driven” person the following words of advice may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.