Recovery Time for Liposculptrue/time Before Travel is Safe?

I'm a 26yo female overall healthy and exercise regularly I have considered Liposculpture for some time and visited a surgeon. However this surgeon is in Buenos Aires and I live in Australia. I am starting a new job and cant take too much time off so I plan to have the op Mon and then I would need to fly Fri so I can rest before returning to work Am I putting too much strain on myself? It is a 14 hour flight home. I do trust the surgeon but I need an unbiased opinion of whether this is possible or not

Recovery time for lipo prior to flying

The recovery time will very much depend on the amount of fat suctioned, and on the duration of the procedure.  My patient's safety are my very main concern.  Therefore, when flying, I ALWAYS ask my patients to wear TED compression socks, drink lots of water, move your legs and feet constantly, walk around the plane, and wait at least 48 to 72 hours prior to having surgery.    These safety precautions must always be used when flying, whether or not having surgery.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Recovery Time for Liposculpture

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend the surgery with that much travel time. Your risk profile goes up substantially, and the risk of a clot is elevated unnecessarily. Prolonged travel is a real risk factor which should not be underestimated. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time can vary depending on each patient

the recovery time in this kind of surgery depends on patient´s age, quantity of fat taken out,  combined surgeries, massages. most patients can travel 7 to10 days  after a lipo.

Ramon Sabala, MD

Flying after Surgery

I would recommend waiting 2 weeks.  In addition, with a long flight getting up every couple of hours to move the legs and improve circulation.

Traveling Liposuction

Flying soon after liposuction is not a problem but a 14 hour flight puts you at an increase for a blood clot. If you do decide to proceed then you should invest in some sequential compression devices for your legs. You must walk around the plane for at least 10 minutes each hour you are awake

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Risk of DVT and Plane Travel after Liposuction

I do not recommend long flights for at least 2 weeks after liposuction to minimize the risk of development of blood clots in the legs.

Liposuction and travel

It is difficult to say what is best for you. It really is best to stay locally and have the sugery done at home where you can be appropriately monitored after surgery.

Travel After Liposuction

Ideally, you should give yourself at least 7 days after the procedure before you take a flight that long. Make sure you've visited your surgeon to verify that your'e healing properly and that there is no infection, excessive swelling, etc. While you're on the flight, make sure you walk up and down the aisles frequently to prevent any postoperative complications such as a blood clot in the legs or lung, which you are at more risk for after surgical procedures. 

Liposculpture and travel

I would like my patients to remain in the area for one week after surgery. This is in case of complication. Complications are extremely rare in liposculpture. What will you do if there is a problem or revisions are required. It is never a good idea to travel too far for cosmetic surgery. We frequently have patient come from other states for surgery. But we always have contacts in those areas that can followup with the patients if they need to be seen and Skype or email is not sufficient.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon