I am considering going out of the state for Facelift. How many days should I stay before returning home?
Recovery Time for Facelift?
Doctor Answers 38
Recovery Time For a Facelift
Recovery time is a universal concern for prospective patients and the most frequent question during consultations. Since there is no way to perform a surgical procedure without some recovery, it is important to first dispel the myth of "no downtime" surgery. The "lunchtime lift" belongs in the land of unicorns and flying pigs and should be dismissed as a marketing term. The initial phase of recovery involves some degree of swelling and bruising. In the link shown below, I show a patient before, at 1 week, and at 1 month after a Facelift. Although all patients are physically capable of driving and going about their business at 7-10 days, some individuals are more sensitive to having a postoperative appearance. For most patients wearing makeup, going out in public without being conspicuous takes about 2 weeks. Although the wound healing process takes many months to fully settle down, these aspects of recovery are rarely noticeable to the general public.
Recovery time for a facelift
The recovery time for a facelift is largely a matter of appearance. Most patients feel fairly normal after a few days and depending on the type of procedure will look fairly normal in 10-14 days. Assuming everything goes well with the surgery, it should be safe to return to your home after that time.
Good luck and best wishes on your surgery.
Recovery time after facelift
Generally patients can travel 7 to10 days after surgery. If possible, I like to see my patients again after a few months, and again long term. During that interval, internet communications are comforting to a patient.
The recovery is a different matter. Some patients heal fast, some slow. Patients who have a straightforward facelift will usually be "presentable" faster than patients who have their eyes, brow, cheeklift, lip lifts, LiveFIll, laser etc. done at the same time.
Generally, patients are "presentable" by 2 weeks and "spiffy" by 4 weeks. Final healing time is ually 6 months.
You might also like...
Recovery from a facelift
Depending on the procedure done and how careful your surgeon is with stopping bleeding and thus minizing bruising and swelling, the stay I would recommend if you were my patient is 10 days. But obviously you should follow your own surgeon's advice.
Recovery Time for Facelift?
Recovery and Results :
After the face lifting operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.
Recovery Time for a Facelift
Your question really has two parts. Should you travel for cosmetic surgery and what is recovery or downtime from a facelift?
When it comes to people considering travelling more than they have to for any cosmetic surgery, most of is do not recommend it. Just a couple of reasons include:
- What if you have a complication after you return home?
- The added cost of travel and hotel rooms and travel back for follow up usually makes the surgery more expensive.
Recovery is somewhat variable depending upon the individual and the extent of surgery that is done. There are three parts to "recovery":
- True recovery or time back up on your feet and able to go for a walk or get things done. This should be no more than a day or two.
- Downtime or the time for the swelling and bruising to pass so that you can go out with some makeup on and not have people look aghast. This is usually 7 to 10 days but may be a little longer depending upon you and the extent of the procedure.
- Time for healing. I tell all my patients that all of the swelling is usually gone at 3 months and 80% of it is gone at 3 weeks. Bruising can last up to 3 weeks. Small lumps and bumps that can occasionally form may be 3 to 6 months before they are completely gone. The scars will be red and thick for up to a year.
Facelift surgery can be transformative however and most of these problems are pretty minor.
I hope that helps.
Recovery Time for Facelift?
Overall recovery process does differ in patients. Here is my recovery protocol which my patients follow to help minimise a long recovery period:
- Do use a cool pack on the incisions as this will help reduce any residual fullness.
- Do continue with painkillers if required, as around 5% of patients will have some ear pain which will settle within a week or two.
- Do shower and hair wash daily.
- Do resume normal activities however avoid vigorous exercise or heavy lifting for 2 weeks post procedure.
- Don’t apply any make up, moisturiser or oils to the incision line until advised by us.
- Don’t allow pets of any variety to share a bed with you and avoid allowing pets near your face for the first four weeks after your procedure. Allowing pets near your face has the potential to result in an infection. However being vigilant will help reduce this risk.
- Do be vigilant with hand hygiene.
- Do notify us immediately if you have any concerns or notice any increased redness, heat around the incision or if you have any discharge from around the ear.
All the Best with your recovery!
Average Facelift Recovery Time
Stay for at least two weeks
Recovery After Facelift
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.