Recovery Period for Abdominoplasty with Muscle Repair and Mastoplexy Without Implant?

I am booked in to have the above procedure 13th January 2013, I have had hysterectomy 10yrs ago, can I expect recovery to be as painful.

Recovery from a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Recovery for Breast Lift with Tummy Tuck

Abdominoplasty with a mastopexy involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months to a year or more.
You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions. 

Abdominoplasty abdominal wall tightening requires 2 weeks for recovery

Thank you for the question.  The general recovery period for being able to take care of oneself is about 2 weeks.  At this time you may be off of the pain medication and driving yourself becomes realistic.  Its the muscle tightening component of the tummy tuck that requires the most downtime.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hysterectomy Pain vs Mommy Makeover Pain

I have heard women who have had both say that the pain is comparable, some saying the hysterectomy is more painfull, some saying the tummy tuck is more painful.

Recovery after Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

Each patient is different with their recovery.  Some patients state that the surgery was easy while others have a more difficult time.  On average, 2-4 weeks recovery is needed for this surgery.  Most of the discomfort will be due to the muscle work performed with the tummy tuck surgery.  You will be "hunched over" to protect the incision and not allowed to do any heavy lifting for at least 2 weeks (if not more).  

Speak to your surgeon to get more precise advice and remember to follow the advice for the best aesthetic result possible.

Recovery Period for Abdominoplasty with Muscle Repair and Mastoplexy

These procedures are often done on patients who have had c-section or hysterectomy in the past.

Usually the post op course is similar. What is worse is the longer incision and manipuation of the abdominal wall. What is better is that the abdominal cavity in not entered. Some women think the hysterectomy (or c-section) was worse, some feel the TT was worse. The added breast surgery usually adds little to the overall discomfort. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Recovery after tummy tuck and mastopexy

Thank you for your question. The combination of a tummy tuck and mastopexy, the "mommy make over", is a common one and can produce a dramatic improvement. It is not without some recovery time however. I tell women to expect a 2 week recovery before returning to work or normal activities provided that the job doesn't entail lifting. Depending on the amount of muscle tightening, lifting is avoided for 4-6 weeks, with lifting defined as anything heavier than a cup of coffee. This allows the muscles to properly heal and maintain your optimal result.

While your recovery is similar to your hysterectomy recovery, it usually is less painful, as the muscles as not cut in an abdominoplasty as they are in a hysterectomy. I break the recovery up into 3 phases. For the first 3 days, It is sore and painful, and your activity will be limited. The prescribed pain meds will help your get through this part. After 3 days, you will turn the corner and start moving around the house better. A week after this, you should be able to drive and gradually increase your activity level.

While not fun, the recovery is tolerable with help and patience. The results will certainly be worth it.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Jeff Rockmore

Recovery After Abdominoplasty and Mastopexy

Thank you for the question. Your recovery will be fairly similar in the time frame, however the fact that the muscle will not have to be cut will most likely translate into less intense pain. You will require a minimum of 6 weeks recovery before beginning any vigorous exercise or lifting any significant amount of weight as the muscle repair will have to heal. 

Recovery after tummy tuck is not quick

Recovery from a tummy tuck is very similar to the recovery from a hysterectomy or C-section.  Expect 2 weeks of limited activity, no lifting over 15 lbs the first week and 30 lbs the second week.  Vigorous activity can be started 4-6 weeks after the procedure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon