Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastoplexy?

I am booked in for tummy tuck and mastoplexy 21st Jan 2013, can I expect recovery to be similar to hysterectomy recovery?

Recovery from a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Tummy Tuck Recovery

The recovery from a tummy tuck should not be more than a couple of days if you are placed on a rapid recovery program. This does not mean that you are healed and that you can do everything but it does mean that you should be able to get out of the house and do some basic things like shop for groceries and go out to eat. You should also be off your pain medications except perhaps some Aleve or Motrin. In order to be back your regular work outs and doing everything without any discomfort at all takes 4 to 6 weeks and to have everything back to as normal as possible in terms of things like your scars and sensation takes a year.

A rapid recovery program for a tummy tuck involves using motion right after surgery, a NO Drain tummy tuck technique and twilight anesthesia.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastopexy

Women often compare the pain of the tummy tuck to a C-section or a hysterectomy.  However, after listening to hundreds of women in this situation, I would say that the experience for pain is individual and hard to predict.   

The tummy tuck portion will be the main part of your recovery

Thank you for the question.  A tummy tuck usually requires 2 weeks of recovery in terms of feeling able to go off of pain medications and starting to take care of oneself.  Most breast lift procedures are relatively easy in terms of recovery since it largely involves skin and fat both of which have little discomfort associated with surgery.  Patient do generally equate a hysterectomy and tummy tuck recovery although the sensation will be different since the tummy tuck involves a larger surface area but a hysterectomy involves entering the intra-abdominal area.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Recovery varies.

Thanks for sharing. Recovery varies slightly from patient to patient and there are stages. This operation typically recovers faster than a hysterectomy. 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

Mommy makeover recovery

Usually my patients recover from a mommy makeover much more quickly that they do from a hysterectomy.

David Stoker, MD

Recovery from tummy tuck and mastopexy vs. hysterectomy

Recovery varies greatly from person to person. Comparing tummy tuck to hysterectomy in terms of pain is fair if you had an incision on your lower abdomen, as opposed to a trans-vaginal hysterectomy. If the external incision was used, the six pack muscles were cut. This pain is usually equivalent or worse than pain caused by stitching the muscles back together to repair a diastasis (abdominal bulge). Pain from a mastopexy is mild in comparison and should not add much to your recovery.

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Recovery from tummy tuck and mastopexy versus hysterectomy

This is a great question and a common one in my office.  The answer lies in the difference between the surgical dissection involved in a tummy tuck versus a hysterectomy.  While the hysterectomy surgery usually involves cutting the belly muscles, tummy tuck surgery involves plication of the muscle.   Both can cause spasm and pain, but tummy tuck surgery is virtually always reported as an easier recovery. The addition of mastopexy surgery is unlikely to add any significant pain unless you choose to have an implant placed for volume.  This would again involve muscle cutting and more pain.  The majority of your discomfort should be within the first two weeks and most of my patients return to the gym at 6 weeks.  Good Luck.

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastopexy

Thank you for your question regarding recovery from tummy tuck and mastopexy.  Everyone heals differently from surgery, but I would anticipate that your tummy-tuck/mastopexy surgery should be similar to your recovery from the hysterectomy. There are quite a few different techniques in tummy tucks today that can change the length of recovery and comfort for the patient. I am currently using a progressive suture technique that secures the abdominal flap to the underlying fascia, thereby distributing tension over a larger area. By keeping pressure more evenly distributed, there is less direct pressure at the incision site and my patients tend to be more comfortable.  A big benefit is that it eliminates the need for a surgical drain, which is typically sutured to the incision site for a 7-10 days following surgery and can be a source of discomfort.  In addition, we use SofPulse®, which uses targeted microcurrents to transmit gentle pulses to the tissue to help reduce swelling and speed up the natural recovery process that has been very helpful in aiding recovery from tummy tuck.  Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who can give you a realistic idea of what to expect following your procedures. Tummy tuck and mommy makeovers tend to be  procedures that most patients are extremely satisfied with following their recovery.  Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon