Recovery from Breast Augmentation with an 18 Month Old and a 4 Yr Old

I am considering having breast augmentation but am concerned about what the recovery is like. At the time of the surgery, my two children will be about 18 months and 4 years. I am a stay at home mom. Will my husband need to take 2 weeks off, or more? At what point will I be allowed to lift the baby (approx 21 lbs)?

Recovery from breast surgery

This is a question best answered by your personal surgeon since he or she is the only one who knows what your surgery will consist of. In general, the first week is the acute recovery phase and most doctors will tell you not to lift your baby. However, this is in some way dependent on whether you go under or above your pectoralis muscles. The other thing you may need to be cautious about is your baby squirming or kicking on your arms. A hard kick to your recently operated breasts can set you back a few days of discomfort. If the baby is quiet and someone can gently place the baby in your arms, it might be ok to hold it after the first week.

Recovery from Breast Augmentation

It is very common to perform breast augmentation on Moms. I generally recommend taking it easy with lifting for about 1-2 weeks. Most moms are OK with child care during this period. Of course, it doesn't hurt to ask a family member or girlfriend to get a little extra help. I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous acitivty for 4 weeks (in terms of working out etc.) Hope this helps.

Recovery time after Breast Augmentation

Hi and thank you for your question.
It would be best to line up some help for a week or two. You need time to heal and recover from surgery. It is recommended that you do no heavy lifting for 3 to 4 weeks post surgery. Check with you surgeon for his or hers  specific guidelines. Best of luck.

Lifting little ones after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients as to the recovery
Week 1) Discomfort and tightness level progressively decreases with each day. Swelling decreases a great deal after one week. Most people return to work in some capacity.
Week 2) Unlikely to need any narcotic support except maybe at night. Swelling and tightness continues to improve compared to week 1
Weeks 3-6) May need tylenol or ibuprofen for intermittent discomfort. Swelling completely resolved. Tightness may continue as the implants over an additional few months into their final position.

As far as activity, here is a safe guide:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

So as far as the little ones, I would recommend having help for basic needs like lifting into the car seat. You can cuddle with them while you are sitting down, but you should avoid the tendency to multitask with one child in your arms while you are busy doing other tasks.

Quick recovery breast augmentation

We typically perform surgery in the middle of the week, and patients return to work on Monday.  We allow resumption of full activity after 2 weeks.  Our only suggestions is that after two weeks restart your exercise program slowly.  We always have to tell our runners not to do a big run on day 15, but start slowly.

Lifting after augmentation

I tell patients that they should avoid heavy lifting for about 6 weeks.  I tell patients with young children that they should not lift up the child out of a crib but the child can hold on to the neck and then the patient can supprort the child and that is fine, But I would wait a week or so.

Recovery after breast augmentation

Movement of your arms and lifting your 18 month old may be uncomfortable for a few days to even a few weeks, and although every patient is different with respect to post surgical pain level, generally, breast augmentation patients with young children do not need help at home with their children for more than a day or two.

Steve Laverson, MD

Recovery after breast implant surgery

Most doctors will say you cannot go back to the gym for 3 to 4 weeks after breast surgery. Lifting a 21 pound baby is much the same. If you start vigorous physical activity too soon you can dislodge or shift the implants espcecially if they are under the muscle, cause a clotted blood vessel to open up and bleed under the skin, disrupt a suture line etc. You need to have a thorough discussion with your surgeon and plan well ahead of time for the recovery. If your husband cannot do it you are better off arranging for a friend or family member to help especially with the children. Some women have their mothers or a sister move in for a week or 2. When you return to regular physical activity do it in a graduated fashion as comfort allows.

Aaron Stone, MD

Best to ask your chosen surgeon. I recommend 10 days for recovery, maybe more. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Recovery from augmentation

figure that you will feel ok in a few days, but not be able to lift the little ones for 2-4 weeks.  Exertion can cause bleeding.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon