Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery, Normal? (photo)

My surgery was done on 23rd feb 2013 and I have posted some pics post op. Can anyone tell me that is the recovery(firming of the skin) going fine? It has been more than a month now. Please help me with your suggestions. I know it takes 4-6 months to completely heal. I wear the compression garment for almost 24 hrs a day and I massage my chest twice everyday. Is there any chance of crater deformity. Please help me out as I am a bit worried.

Your Healing Process After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Post op concerns

Thank you for your photos.  It is far too early to be alarmed about cosmetic results.  You are going to continue to heal over the next 6 months.  Your skin will tighten quite a bit. Hang in there.

Tim Neavin, MD

Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi kak8cr7,

Thanks for the post and photos. At one month you are very early in the recovery process and the photos you posted support this.  You are correct to wait until you are closer to 6 months out from surgery to evaluate the results.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Recovery Following Gynecomastia Procedures

Swelling following gynecomastia chest reduction takes many months to resolve.  In addition, skin retraction is variable from patient to patient.  It is recommended, to wait many months to allow for healing.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Recovery and Chest Shape after Gynecomastia Reduction

Your healing at this point after gynecomastia surgery looks fine. I see no evidence of a crater deformity at this point. The long-term question is how will the extra skin around the nipples look as it heals further. It is evident that you had some extra breast mound skin from the beginning.

Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery, Normal?

You definitely have swelling.  With any sizeable gland removal particularly with any amount of loose skin prior to surgery, more skin may have to be removed in the future.  However, as you said, you are much too early to tell about final results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The chest wall may appear unsightly for many weeks after gynecomastia treatment.

The picture demonstrates a sizable amount of swelling persisting the chest wall after treatment for gynecomastia. This will get better with time. Whether the final result lives up to the patient's expectation remains to be seen.

Gynecomastia Recovery

It appears that you still have some edema.  I would continue to be patient.  The skin may retract.  If the skin does not retract then some skin tightening may need to be performed as secondary step. 

Best Wishes

Dr. ES

Massage at loose skin of the breasts following male breast surgery

You are really early in your post operative course following a subcutaneous mastectomy for gynecomastia.  Keep up with the massage of the breast and hopefully the skin will contract down over time.