Recommended Age Spots Treatment?

Hi, I'm 36 with medium skin tone and yellow undertones. I've always had hereditary dark circles and a few freckles on and near my nose but, know I also have some sun spots, blemishes (which I never had as a teen)and fine lines. I also have sensitive or reactive skin. I've recently been thinking of laser or chemical peel (at home or by a dermatologist)and would like to ask your advice as I don't know anyone who has done either. Thank you

Doctor Answers 5

Fraxel Dual as an Age Spot Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Age spots are caused by excessive exposure to the sun. To protect itself, the skin starts to produce high levels of melanin, which acts as a sunscreen. Age spots are the concentrated areas of melanin that lie in the lower part of the epidermis. And in some cases, they can also exist in the dermis layer. Cosmetic lasers are capable of reaching the melanin without disrupting the outer skin surface.

The wavelengths break up the structures holding the pigment. And your lymphatic system carries away these waste products. For your skin tone, Fraxel Dual would most likely be the best option.

Aside from the melanin in age spots, you already have melanin that gives your skin its medium tone. Melanin tends to easily absorb laser energy. And having higher levels of the pigment can cause your skin to overheat. Fraxel Dual uses specific and unique wavelengths that are safe for patients with darker skin.

Also the system is computerized. So your doctor can control very precise parameters to create a very safe and effective treatment. Chemical peels on the other hand are less predictable, because there is less ability to control the action of the chemicals that are used.




Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Treating discoloration of the skin with Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A combination of light TCA peels and IPL will help keep the sun spots and discoloration away once you begin treatment with lightening creams. I would recommend the Melaquin AM in the morning and Melaquin PM in the evening. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Treatment of Age Spots

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

One of the most effective ways to reverse the effects of chronic sun damage to your skin is by using a combination of two prescription strength medications: tretinoin cream and 4% hydroquinone. Unlike the unsubstantiated claims made by over-the-counter skin care products, the results of using these creams are backed by real medical science. We recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten age spots as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Age spot treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peels do not usually help sun spots. Laser surface Medlite or Versapulse can remove sunspots usually in one treatment. There are many treatments for dark circles depending on the etiology.

In my recent interviews, I have discussed this topic as well as other age related skin rejuvenation methods/treatments.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Brown spots

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, this is a difficult question to answer without a face to face examination. There are some pigmentary disorders or "lesions" that you refer to as "spots" that are most appropriately treated with topical "bleaching" creams, while there are other brown spots or pigmentation that is more appropriately treated with laser. And lastly, there are some pigmentary conditions that do not respond to either.

So, you should see a dermatologist that can make a recommendation based precisely on the type of pigmentation you have and your underlying skin pigmentation level (Fitzpatrick type) so that they can assess and recommend properly.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.