Recommendation for Blepharoplasty? (Photos)

I'm a 22-year-old male, and for some time I've felt embarrssed about my eyelids - they're both droopy, and the and they're also asymmetrical. (I usually feel bad about how I appear in pictures.) So that's... dermatochalasis with mild ptosis? I'm thinking about having an upper blepharoplasty done; there appears to be a pretty good oculoplastic surgeon in my area (central Massachusetts) who I could visit. What are your opinions/recommendations?

Doctor Answers 9


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I agree with the decision to consult with an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  Best wishes and good luck.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Go see an Oculoplastic surgeon!!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I think you are smart to see an Oculoplastic surgeon about your concern.  You don't seem to have extra skin on your upper lids in your pictures.  I doubt that an upper lid blepharoplasty is necessary.  A ptosis repair, however, is a different matter.  The Oculoplastic surgeon that you are planning to see will help you determine what surgery, if any, is best for you.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Drooping heavy eyelids in young people

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Noskat,

Eyelids are very complicated, and that is coming from an Oculoplastic Surgeon.  And when it comes to drooping eyelids, I have learned to have a healthy amount of humility with regards to surgical repair.  I agree with the first doctor's response that it would be highly unusual to have the need to remove skin from the lids of a 22 year old.  The drooping is another story.  You need to be evaluated for the evolution of this droop.  Were you born that way?  is it a family trait?  Are there other neuromuscular conditions involved?  These and many other questions need to be investigated before getting to the cosmetic issues.  So rather than jump the gun into which procedure is best, see a thinking surgeon (oculoplastic, facial plastic, general plastic) to figure out the why.  You will end up with the most natural results afterward once that question is answered.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Will Botox Take Care of Glabellar Lines with Thin Skin?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Will Botox Take Care of Glabellar Lines with Thin Skin?


I have performed Blepharoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, no 22 year old needs an upper Blepharoplasty to remove excess skin.  Your photo is not as clear as it could be but it does appear that you have some minor degree of true eyelid ptosis.  Please consider seeing the occuloplastic surgeon in your area that you mentioned for a full evaluation of this issue.

Upper eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A posterior approach ptosis surgery (mullerectomy) might be a great option for you.  A visit with an oculoplastic surgeon will allow them to put a drop of phenylepherine in each eye and show you how it might turn out. 

Michael A. Connor, MD
West Palm Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery had a directory.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

ASOPRS ( maintains a geographic directory that can help you find highly qualified eye plastic surgeons in your area.  Good luck.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Ptosis v. dermatochalasia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Be certain that your surgeon is appropriately evaluating you for ptosis. Occuloplastic surgeons do ptosis repair commonly, but facial plastic surgeons routinely do it as well. It is the more difficult, but more important part of your repair (assuming it is indicated).

The skin removal is more straight forward, however, looking at your pictures--if you want the more open eyed  appearance in photo two--that is likely to require a "transconjunctival muellerectomy".

Good luck!

Reginald Rice, MD
Folsom Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An excellent facial plastic surgeon who can either treat your eyelids or help you with the right decision in the Worcester area is Dr. Min Ahn

Steven J. Pearlman, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 134 reviews

Ptosis and dermatochalasis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you prefer the more open appearance of the second photograph, then you should see an oculoplastic surgeon in your area. Ptosis surgery alone (without blepharoplasty) would give you the opportunity to have a similar appearance. I would caution against upper eyelid blepharoplasty based upon your age and the chance that upper lid blepharoplasty will femanize your eyelids (show more of the front portion of the eyelid). Good luck.

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.