Would You Recommend Silicone over Saline for Thin Skinned Women? (photo)

I'm currently 34 C 38' waist and 39' hips. My skin is very thin and pale. I want saline, but have been told silicone is better due to rippling in thin skinned women. I wanted saline due to it being safer.

Saline implants are fine, but they do show wrinkles in someone with minimal breast tissue. In those with very little breast tissue, even inserting them below the muscle may not help. However, from the appearance of your photos, you have ample breast to cover the implants. If my perception is correct from viewing yhour photos, you should not have a problem with saline implants and subsequent wrinkles. Even so, silicone implants have a more natural feel and appearance compared to saline implants.

Recently I have removed saline implants for the very reason mentioned above -- wrinkles in someone very thin. She is thrilled with the results using silicone implants. In another recent case of mine a patient who I inserted saline implants about 15 years ago had a deflation the day before her wedding and a planned honeymoon in Europe. Sometimes deflations do not occur at a convenient time.

Silicone vs saline

There is no question that the less breast tissue you have, I tell my patients, the more important silicone becomes. I always recommend silicone.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Better Implant Saline vs. Silicone

Rippling is more of an issue with the saline filled implant versus the gel filled implant. Therefore, the surgeon should be able to advise on the type of implant that is best for you when they evaluate the amount of tissue that covers the implant after surgery. In general, with thinner tissue the folding or rippling would be more noticeable and the gel implant would be preferred. Both types are safe and there are tradeoffs with each. Ultimately, the patient has the final say in which implant they prefer.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Saline versus silicone.

Saline versus silicone is a personal choice. For women with a decent amount of breast tissue such as yourself, saline implants do quite well. This is because the implant is well camouflaged by the overlying breast tissue. The problem begins when an oversized implant (one that exceeds the anatomic dimensions of your breast) is placed. In these cases, thinning of the breast tissue, malposition of the implant, and visible rippling can be a problem. As far as safety is concerned, silicone implants are safe devices but require MRI's to evaluate periodically for rupture. Saline implants do not require monitoring as a rupture is obvious. Given your photos and goals, saline implants would appear to be a reasonable choice of implant.  

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs Saline breast implants

Thank you for the photo.

You have enough breast tissue where I do not think you will have a problem with rippling. However, if you go too large you may have other problems than just possible rippling.

Things such as: chronic pain, need for multiple revisions due to stretching of skin and tissue, etc.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choose silicone

You appear to have enough of your own breast tissue based on these limited photos that you might have little rippling with either saline or silicone.  However, in general I always recommend silicone to patients where there is any concern about rippling (especially with thin skin or limited breast tissue).  I also agree that there is no evidence that saline is safer than silicone

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Implant choice

Choosing saline vs silicone is a personal choice. It really depends upon your concerns. Both implants are safe.

Would You Recommend Silicone over Saline for Thin Skinned Women?

Though the posted photos are not great views, I would defer to you choosing the type of implant. Yes silicone has less ripples but the final choice is yours. 

Saline or silicone - which one in thin patient

It's not a matter of which one is better, but which one do YOU prefer. Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you the pros and cons of each one. For example, silicone has a much lower rate of rippling or wrinkling than saline, while saline can go in through a smaller incision and has a slightly lower capsule or hardening rate. Some patients claim the saline implants "feel" heavier when they switched from saline to silicone. In my practice I let the patient decide although my personal preference is silicone, I still do about 10-15% saline implants. Remember, you must be over 22 to be a candidate for silicone according to the FDA. The amount of wrinkling is not only related the the thickness of the skin (actually the amount of breast tissue) but also the size.  Going huge will almost guarantee you rippling.  The bigger you go the greater the risk of rippling.  Good luck with your decision

Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Saline vs silicone and rippling

to avoid rippling, silicone is the way to go with thin ski and minimal breast tissue. in your case and just based on the pics, it might not make a difference. also there is no evidence saline is safer than silicone.