Do you recommend implant displacement and massage following revision/ capsulectomy for capsular contracture?

I developed bilateral grade 4 CC within 4 weeks of my initial BA. My first PS had me displacing and massaging my implants starting at 4 days post op, which I did faithfully. My new PS advises against it.

Massage for capsular contracture

We don't really know what causes contractures and we don't really have any evidence that massage decreases them. I don't routinely recommend it to my patients but I certainly don't object if they want to. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Massage for capsular contracture

1. Follow the instructions of your new plastic surgeon.
  2. Some textured implants below the muscle sit tightly in position and massage may be painful.
  3. No evidence shows massage to reducecapsular contracture,
  4. Breast implant capsules are related to biofilms around breast implants, sleep position and placement of breast implants above the muscle - and some we cannot explain. Best wishes.

Implant Exercises

Implant exercises are not scientifically proven to be helpful but I do recommend it for my patients.  It gets women used to the feel and movement of their implants so that if there is an issue women know what they should feel like.

At the end of the day, Follow your surgeon's advice!

Dr. ES

Breast Enhancement Surgery

The best thing to do is find a surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with and stick with there game plan. GOOD LUCK

Massage after breast surgery

There isn't any evidence that I know of supporting the use of massage or displacement exercises to help prevent capsular contractures. I don't think that it will help or hurt, so just follow the advice of your surgeon. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implant massage exercises

There is no good data/science supporting or negating the use of implant massage exercises.  Many surgeons do ask their patients to perform them.  I would recommend following your current surgeon's advice as he/she knows what was done in surgery and can guide you best.

Naveen Setty, MD

BBA

You should follow the advice of your PS. If you don't follow their instructions then you are putting your results at risk. There is no good evidence that massage helps prevent CC. Many of us still recommend it BUT its essentially voodoo.  

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast massage post augmentation mammaplasty

A bit of a dilemma.  There is no data to support massaging breasts post operatively reduces firmness of the breasts.  In general I do recommend it because intuitively it makes sense.  You probably would do best with getting to know and trust one doctor and follow his advice.

Good Luck!

David Lowe, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon