Would You Recommend Cortisone Injection or Laser to Help Smooth out This Scar?

I had a neck lift. There is still a thick piece of muscle under my chin. I have been massaging it and using silicone cream. It feels weird and is still numb. I've read from the answers it could take 6 months to flatten. It there anything I can do to help speed up the process. I am pleased with my results face on, and feel younger, but I was hoping the area under my chin would be improved. It looks like my before pictures.

Doctor Answers 3

Cortisone injection or laser for under chin scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  Well, my recommendation is not nearly as important as asking your surgeon for his/her opinion.  That said, I'd recommend cortisone injections to speed up your recovery.  Good luck!

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Neck lift bulge

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree see your doctor first. It may be scar tissue or an area of some fat necrosis or a bulge of muscle or the sub-mandibular gland. Lots of things to do depending on correct diagnosis. An exam is really need to help more,Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

1540 Laser Not Cortisone Best for Neck Lift Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Thank you for your question.  Personally I avoid cortisone injections in the skin because they can produce  fat atrophy and the proliferation of visible blood vessels on the skin if used in too high concentrations or after repeated doses.

I prefer to use the  1540 non-ablative fractional Erbium laser to treat scars.  This laser therapy not only flattens but also reduces redness and itching and is the most effective scar treatment I have found in 30 years.check the reference below for more detailed information.

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.