I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Will this stop me having my dream Mommy makeover?

Hypothyroidism and mommy makeover

Hypothyroidism is quite common.  It is important to make sure your thyroid function is stable.   You will need your internist managing your thyroid to clear you to proceed with elective surgery.  As long as your medical issues are stable and well controlled, you should be able to proceed with your mommy makeover.   best wishes.

Mommy Makeover Desired, but Newly Discovered Hypothyroidism Will Require Postponement

Elective surgery is done when the patient is healthy in all important ways that can affect the safety of the operation and anesthesia. Hypothyroidism treatment takes several months to correct because the dose has to be gradually adjusted and thyroid hormone levels adjusted. Hypothyroidism can be a big problem if it is severe and long-standing, but most patients in the USA probably have it diagnosed before it is advanced. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a common cause of hypothyroidism and responds well to Synthroid.
    A patient with newly diagnosed hypothyroidism needs to get the problem resolved before planning on elective surgery. A breast aug/lift and tummy tuck are serious operations that require a healthy patient with normal thyroid function.  
   When patients are taking thyroid meds, we always ask if the thyroid function is normal and has been recently checked.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Hypothyroid with mommy make over planned

• You can have your mommy make-over,
  • Your plastic surgeon should speak to your endocrinologist before surgery
  • It is best to wait until your TSH is near normal,
  • Surgery when  you have severe hypothyroidism makes you more prone to fluid collections.

Hypothyroidism ans plastic surgery

hello. thanks for the question. thyroid disorders like hypothyroidism are not a contraindication for you to have a plastic surgery but it have to stable and   controlled, an endocrinologist should evaluate you and give approval for your surgery.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Adequately controlled hypothyroidism is no contraindication to mommy makeover surgery

Provided you are metabolically stable there is no reason not to proceed with a mommy makeover operation.

Hypothyroid and Mommy Makeover

Good question:  You would never want have surgery when your body is resetting its thermostat.  Once your throid is under control with medicine, it is certainly ok to have surgery.  Your medical doctor or endocrine specialist can advise you when it is ok.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Low thyroid and mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  No, hypothyroidism should not prevent you from getting your dream mommy makeover.  Your surgeon may check your TSH and thyroid hormone levels to make sure that they are within the  normal range to minimize wound issues and anesthetic complications.  You also want to make sure that your weight is at an appropriate level and stable.  Make sure you share  all of this information with your  board certified plastic surgeon and your anesthesiologist.  Good luck!

No, hypothyroidism should not interfere with your dream. Have the hypothyroidism well-controlled and achieve a long-term stable weight if you are not there already. Then, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Then, communicate your goals carefully. You may find attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Hypothyroidism, Once Medically Controlled, Will Not Interfere With Your Having A Mommy Makeover

Hypothyroidism is a medical condition where the thyroid gland puts out an insufficient amount of endocrine substances referred to as T3 and T4.  These substances can be replaced by any number of products on the market.  Once an individual's laboratory tests show that the T3 and T4 are within normal limits, one should be able to have surgery without any complications brought on by the hypothyroidism.

The Mommy Makeover is a compilation of surgeries, usually an abdominoplasty, breast surgery of some kind, and possibly liposuction and often labiaplasty.  These surgeries can be done safely in the face of a diagnosis of hypothyroidism as long as you are being operated on by a Board Certified plastic surgeon who understands your medical condition and has the appropriate and timely laboratory tests. 

Hypothyroidism and Mommy Makeover

This should not stop you .  As long you are being managed by your endocrinologist or primary care physician for this and your thyroid levels are normal your mommy makeover should able to be done.

Dr. ES