16 weeks post TT. I have a little swelling. Is this normal?

Swelling

TT

It is normal to still have some swelling at this time. Lymphatic massage can help at this stage and you should run through the pros and cons with your PS. 

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at 16 Weeks Post-Op

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find yourself concerned about the healing process after your tummy tuck it would always be best to visit with your surgeon to make sure that everything is progressing well and healing properly. With the best details on your case they can provide the most informative advice. Good luck.

4 months post op. some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (4months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling after a tummy tuck

A tummy tuck is quite a large procedure, and swelling can be expected for at least six months or beyond. Of course, it is decreasing all the time, but often is worse at the end of the day and better when the patient wakes up.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon