Worsening abdominal swelling even with my compression garment?

POD9 from mommy makeover. abdominal swelling is horrible today. I'm wearing my compression garment have only taken it off to shower. prior to that I wore my binder consistently. been up and about, doing some light walking with resting in between. I'm drinking lots of water. Nothing strenuous. How much swelling is going to happen, how much bigger will I get before it starts to go down? I was really happy with my results the other day, but I'm really starting to get upset with how I look now.

Swelling After Mommy Makeover?

Swelling can be divided into three major stages:
(1)  The first 14-21 days -- swelling during this time period tends to get worse and is a combination of local swelling of surgery as well as total water weight swelling in the entire body.
(2)  ~ 3 weeks through 8 weeks -- expect each week to look bit better and by the 8th week or so to get a hint of your final results when you first get up in the morning, before the days swelling sets in.
(3)  At 16 weeks -- Your are for all intensive purposes at your final results or very close to them and will see mainly minor changes afterwards until about one year out from your surgery.
Conclusion:  Your selling sounds pretty normal this far out and if you liked your results a few days ago, you will like them again.  Just be patient!

Postop swelling from tummy tuck

You are in the time period of maximal swelling so don't worry.  You had a big surgery, and it will take awhile for your body to recover.  The best thing you can do is to continue wearing your compression garment.  However, if the swelling continues to worsen, please have your surgeon evaluate.

Mommy makeover

You are still very early in the recovery process and the swelling may get worse before it gets better.  The next several months will test your patience as you will have good and bad days.  Continue with the compression garment, drink plenty of fluids, and minimize your salt intake.  I have my patients do massage which can help the swelling go down.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a Compression Garment Following the Mommy Makeover

The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

At just over a week it is still very early in the healing process. As the swelling goes down and the scar matures the appearance of your abdomen will improve. It usually takes 4-6 months to begin seeing your results. Avoid salt in your diet as this can make swelling worse. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have will your surgeon for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is highly variable after a mommy makeover.

Swelling is highly variable and depends upon the magnitude of the procedure as well as the healing vicissitudes of the patient. Salt restriction can be of modest benefit. Compressive garments may help. In the end however the amount and rate of resolution of swelling is very much an individual matter.

Worsening swelling 9 days after tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

Swelling is upsetting after surgery - the question is if something else is going on.
  • Too tight a garment can increase swelling. Check with your surgeon how tight it should be.
  • Have your surgeon check you - at times a seroma (fluid collection) develops that needs to be drained.
  • If it is just swelling, there is no need to be upset - you cannot change how your body deals with swelling - it takes time and has its own schedule.
  • It will be weeks before the swelling subsides.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Although, it is not unusual to have more swelling in the first week or two after a mommy makeover, you may be developing  a seroma.  Check back with your surgeon and they can assess your situation.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after abdominoplasty.

This type of swelling after an abdominoplasty is not uncommon. Some patients take longer than others to help mobilize the fluid in the remaining soft tissue that causes the swelling. Very often the continued use of postoperative narcotics results in constipation which may further aggravate the sensation of swelling. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so that other potential causes of swelling can be ruled out.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Concerned with swelling

Swelling waxes and wanes.  You need to seek evaluation of your swelling by your surgeon if this is increasing significantly.