Am I overreacting?

Having mommy makeover soon. Mastopexy with augmentation, full tummy tuck, lipo. Also have small fat containing umbilical hernia. 5'8" and 150 pounds. No significant health history for DVT or clotting d/o. To be under general for 5-6h. I've been an ICU nurse for 11 years & can't help but start to freak out now that my date is coming up. 100%trust my surgeon & the ologist putting me under. 5more worried about possibilities of postop complications. Specifically a DVT. Getting cold feet.

Am I overreacting?

Your concerns are valid and probably exacerbated due to your ICU experience. The most important thing is to be as healthy as you can be for your surgery. Talk with your doctors about your concerns as well. Based on the length of your surgery I am sure that they will have you on pneumatic compression devices starting prior to your surgery and some type of anti-coagulation therapy in the peri-operative time. Early ambulation will help as well. Best of luck.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Is a Mommy Makeover Procedure Safe

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation.

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Worried about deep vein thrombosis from surgery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Your surgical plan sounds reasonable but -
  • If you want to lower the risks, you can have less surgery at one time.
  • Have your surgeon calculate your DVT risk.
  • If you wish, you can have anticoagulation after surgery but for very low risk patients, the risks of anti-coagulation are higher than the risk of DVT.
  • To minimize the risk, I suggest you have Exparel for pain control and/or a walker so you can get around more easily after surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Take all precautions

If you trust your surgeon, anesthesiologist, and facility; are healthy and in shape, you should be low risk for complications. Make sure all precautions are taken including the use of low molecular weight heparin post op, early ambulation, compression. And pneumatic garments peri operatively.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing the risk for DVT after mommy makeover.

Because of the abdominoplasty and prolonged operative time the risk of pulmonary embolism from DVT definitely exists. The risk of this has been significantly decreased over the years as attention is paid to proper prophylaxis including compressive does, hydration, and early ambulation. Anxiety before this operation is normal. Panic is not.

Am I overreacting?

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming careful selection of plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, and surgery facility, the vast majority of patients to very well with breast augmentation surgery.
I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), sexual activity (be careful...), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.
Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed. It may be helpful for you to spend additional time communicating your concerns/questions directly with your plastic surgeon, prior to the day of surgery.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Mommy Makeover

It is my pleasure to answer your question. It´s normal to be ansious before surgery. The important thing is to have confidence in your surgeon and having very clear the procedures you are about to submit. 

Aramis Vega, MD

DVT

Thanks for your question.  I'm sure you are concerned and anxious prior to your surgery.  Generally, the surgery you are considering in a young healthy female is safe and the risk of DVT minimal.  Compression devices will help, but the best prevention will be trying to walk as much as possible after the surgery.  Your surgeon and his team will make sure you are ok after your procedure. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon