Dorsal hump is a bit crooked after it was broken?

I have always had a dorsal hump since I was about 14 or 15 during puberty but I am now 24 I had it broken about 7 years ago the doctor told me he would do surgery. He ended up "fixing" the deviated septum but said my nose would still go back to how it was because for some strange reason my insurance wouldn't cover it. The problem is I don't want a rhinoplasty if I don't have to. I just want my nose placed correctly back in place. I need some advice. Thanks!

Dorsal Hump

Thanks for your question. To address your dorsal hump and improve the shape of your nose, you will likely need a rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty is considered a cosmetic procedure, which is why it is not covered under your insurance. you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for a full consultation and evaluation. There you will be able to review your personal goals and see if a rhinoplasty is right for you. Best of luck. 

Rhinoplasty

Insurance will cover a septoplasty but not a rhinoplasty which is considered cosmetic. If you want the appearance of your nose corrected, you would need a rhinoplasty. Hope this clears up the confusion.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Crooked hump after trauma

Hi there, thank you for your question. It sounds like you had trauma to your nose 7 years ago that resulted In a crooked hump and a crooked septum. It sounds like the septum was straightened but the bridge of the nose and the nasal bones were not. A rhinoplasty would be the correct surgery to straighten the hump and bridge of the nose.  My recommendation is that you consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon. Hope this helps! 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and insurance

As unfair as it may seem, changing the shape of the nose (rhinoplasty) is not covered by insurance companies.

They will cover septoplasty to improve airway dynamics but not rhinoplasty.

Avron Lipschitz, MD
Stuart Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Sounds like you might need a rhinoplasty to improve the shape. You would have to be seen in person to evaluate your concerns. 

Dorsal hump is a bit crooked after it was broken

A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose to improve airflow dynamics is only performed for medical necessity. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes to shave down the hump, and straighten the nose and make any other cosmetic adjustments to it.  A septoplasty and a rhinoplasty are two completely separate operations, however both can be performed at the same time. Expect to pay for the cosmetic component yourself since there is no medical necessity. For more information about the differences between a septoplasty and  a rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Correcting a deviated nose.

From your description, I'm not sure whether your septal deviation has been corrected or not.  Insurances usually work along these lines:  If you have a septal deviation and it is causing you breathing problems, insurances will pay to correct that.  If you have a dorsal hump and would like that corrected, it can easy be done a the same time as the septal deviation but insurance will not cover that as it is cosmetic.  As for exactly what was done by your 1st surgeon and what needs to be done to give you the nasal contour you wish, only an in person examination would allow that.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Nasal surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.   You may benefit from osteotomies and spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dorsal Hump

Thank you for your question.  Based on your description, it sounds as if a Rhinoplasty may be what will help with your concerns.  This procedure will be able to remove the hump on the dorsum (bridge) of the nose, while also straightening the nasal bones.  Most often, insurance will not cover the portions of the procedure that are deemed cosmetic in nature, but will cover those portions which will help you breath (ie, septoplasty).  

If you are considering having a rhinoplasty, be sure to consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  Here you will have a full  evaluation and consultation, and will discuss you goals for surgery with your surgeon.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump

In the first 2 weeks after a nasal fracture, a simple closed reduction can often be performed to straighten the nose.  If you have a long-standing dorsal hump and had a fracture 7 years ago, there is no way to correct those problems short of a rhinoplasty.  Insurance companies are often reluctant to cover these procedures, even if it is to correct a post-traumatic deformity.

Eric T. Waterman, MD, FACS