Would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction? (Photo)

I'm a 5'9 22 year old, and my weight typically fluctuates between 180-190 lbs. I have a clean meat-free diet and can lose weight with ease, but I am consistently unable to keep it off because my breasts are very heavy and uncomfortable- they really limit my mobility. I have the shoulder/back indentations from bras and trouble bending down due to middle back pain. Bra size is 40h (professionally measured) but I was told by a family member that no surgeon would do it unless I got 20 lbs thinner.

Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction?

You are indeed a candidate for breast reduction and depending on how small you want to be, you might qualify for insurance reimbursement. You need to be carefully evaluated in the office. The scars are around the areola and vertically to the fold and possibly in the fold under the breast. The scarless option means liposuction only with droopiness and minimal reduction. This is not a good option in my opinion. 

Breast reduction

You are a great candidate for breast reduction surgery.  It is specifically for women who are limited by the large size of their breasts and would be healthier with smaller ones.  If you have a reduction and then lose additional weight, your breasts may droop some from the initial result, but at 22 I suspect your skin is elastic enough for this not to be a problem.  At 22 I would also suspect that your breasts are very dense and glandular - making a liposuction reduction difficult (sorry to disagree Dr. Baxt).  Find a Board Certified Surgeon who you trust and can talk to and learn more!  Best of luck!

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Scarless breast reduction

Great opportunity for the Scarless,  which uses liposuction only.  I especially love this for the younger patients before childbearing age. Find  A board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in this procedure and look into it. Quicker, simpler, fewer complications, outpatient, no general anesthesia and very quick recuperation. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

I would say if you definitely plan on losing weight, then hold off surgery until then.  However, if you hover around this weight and you do not plan on losing more weight, then go for a consultation for the surgery. Good luck.

Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction

I believe that you are a good candidate for a breast reduction. I feel you would get a better result if you are able to lose some weight before the procedure. It is difficult to exercise with large breasts, but some weight lose before surgery would optimize your result. I would see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Thanks for reaching out.  You absolutely are a great candidate for breast reduction.  Furthermore you do not need to lose weight in order to have it done.  It will greatly improve your mobility and quality of life.
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon