How long after breast reduction can one breastfeed?

Hi.... I was planning to have a breast reduction surgery but then i found out that i am pregnant. Do my question is can i do the surgery afterbirth but still be able to breastfeed ?or id have to breast feed first 6month. Then get meds to help stop milk production n di surgery?

Breast reduction after breastfeeding

Congratulations on your pregnancy! If you plan to breastfeed your child, you should not undergo breast reduction surgery until you are completely done breastfeeding. It is usually best to wait 3 - 6 months after you have stopped breastfeeding to proceed with surgery. Best of luck!

Can I breastfeed after breast reduction surgery? Timing of surgery?

Congratulations on your pregnancy!Do not do breast reduction surgery until you are done with breastfeeding.  When you breastfeed your breast will change a lot in shape, size, and droopiness.  Any surgery to the breast can affect your ability to breastfeed.  I have had patients who have successfully breastfed after breast reductions, but when you have the constant strain on the breast of engorging and emptying, it will cause the lift and tightening you get with the reduction to loosen. Try to breastfeed evenly (right and left sides).So for all of these reasons it is best to wait until you are all done with babies and then fix the breasts.  As for timing after being done with breastfeeding, I have my patients wait 3-6 months so the milk is fully "dried up" before surgery.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon