Is it a good time to have kybella right after chin implant?

Hi, I'm getting a chin implant on 01/05/16. My surgeon is giving me my first kybella tx, right after inserting the chin implant. Is that a good time to be giving the kybella? Thanks.

Kybella and Chin Implant

I would definitely wait for the surgery to heal before having Kybella.  Kybella is a great injection but will cause swelling which is a natural part of the process.  I also recommend Thermage for all of my patients interested in tightening the jowls and neck.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello opinionfree,

I'm not sure why would do Kybella if you are already having a surgery and already working in the neck.  Liposuction would be done in one treatment.  The benefit of Kybella is avoiding surgery, but you are already having surgery.  I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to any intervention.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Kybella?

Kybella is an injection that has been recently approved by the FDA to help improve the appearance of fullness associated with the submental fat of the neck in adults. There is no specific contraindication to having Kybella done post-op or even intra-op.

Kybella, however, is targeted towards patients looking for non-surgical options to treat their double chin. There are very effective surgical alternatives for submental fat removal including liposuction and direct excision. These have the advantage of immediate results and less overall cost for most people.

If you are having a chin implant placed, these surgical alternatives should be considered. A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. A frank discussion with your surgeon would be the next best step.

Kybella after Chin Implant

Thank you for your question, opinionfree. Kybella is an injectable that targets submental fullness due to submental fat. While it will address any double chin appearance, Kybella is mainly intended for patients that prefer to avoid surgical treatments. Because you are undergoing a surgical treatment, I do not foresee Kybella giving you any discomfort as you heal from your chin implant.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why not lipo?

There is no right and wrong but why not  liposuction while getting a chin implant? So much quicker and cheaper.

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Kybella and chin implant

Good question. I can't really see any downside to giving Kybella at the same time as a chin implant.  However, if you are already in the operating room, then you might want to also consider neck liposuction instead of Kybella. Kybella has positioned itself to be a nonsurgical option for people who don't want surgery, but I don't see any reason you can't use it in the OR.   Either way you will likely see an improvement in your neck line.  Best of luck!

Kybella after chin implant

Thank you for your question. I would discuss with your surgeon the option of having submental liposuction as this is a one step procedure and a great alternative to Kybella, especially if you are already having a surgical procedure in the same area.

Chin implant with Kybella -- GET VASER HI DEF

I am not sure why you would need kybella at the same time as an implant. i would get liposuction of the neck after the implant, at the same time, to give you the full chin contour.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kyle after chin implant

Thanks for the question.  Kybella should be able to be given after chin implant, but if you are going to sleep for a chin implant, why not just have some chin liposuction performed?  I am not sure Kybella will give you as good of a result.  The advantage of Kybella is you get the effect of liposuction but without the need for surgery. 

Good Luck

It's unclear to me why your doctor would insert a chin implant and not perform liposuction of your upper neck at the same time.  The procedures are commonly performed together.  My understanding of the use of Kybella is that it requires two to several injections whereas the liposuction procedure would remove the fat during a very short procedure.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Bd of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, CA

Jon A. Perlman, MD