Are my peri-areolar scars unfavorable (wide,thick, not typical)? Honest Doctor Opinions! 6 months post op. (photos)

Are my peri-areolar scars bad? Honest Opinions! 6 months post-op and feel they are too wide, thick? What are my options my doctor not very helpful . . . But i thought peri-areolar scars were supposed to be very thin, light, skinny, hair-thin and unnoticeable? Doctor convinced me to get peri-areolar saying they would look "spectacular" and feel they look horrible? What are my options? Could they get better in a year time?

Scarring is not predictable

and your surgeon did not do a bad job.  Your photos are not of the best
quality so its challenging to really determine how visible they are.  If
you truly have widened or raised scars that everyone can see when they
look at you, you can call your surgeon on his claim on what quality of
scar you could anticipate, especially if it made you choose that
approach because of what he said... just ask him if that is a
spectacular result and if insistent, you can always get a second opinion
from the many surgeons in your neighborhood.

Periareolar scars

A scar takes almost 18 months to fully mature - so you still have lots of time!
Scars start with an inflammatory process, which causes redness around the incision in the first few days.  Then, over the next 12 weeks (3 months) the body lays down collagen, which is the thick scar tissue that helps a wound to heal.  This is laid down in a very disorganised manner, causing scars to look thick, red, firm, and unsightly.  Scars typically look their absolute worst at about the 12 week mark for this reason.  After 12 weeks, the collagen starts to re-organise itself so that it is more normal and cross-linked.  This process happens for just over a year and during that time, scars tend to fade, become thinner, less ropy or firm, and generally improve.
Things that can help facilitate scar healing include massage, silicone sheets, and good sun protection.
A scar that is hidden at the periareolar region is usually considered a good scar because there is already a colour change at that location, so the eye doesn't immediately notice the scar.
I would speak to your physician about massage and silicone strips.  You still have time for the scar to settle. Good luck!

Kirsty Boyd, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon