What are my options for minor ptosis? (Photo)

I had an orbital fracture which pushed in my right cheekbone slightly 1 week ago. When I look downward or when my eyes become unfocused my right eyelid has a tendency to droop. This was my greatest fear when I was in the ER. the ptosis isn't present when my eyes are wide open and I'm doing eye exams so I think the doctors missed it. But it's present in my day to day life. Should I see an oculoplastic surgeon? If not, what specialty? Opthamology? I don't want to miss a time window

Doctor Answers 4

Orbital Fracture

I would suggest an evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon.  He or she can evalutate the position of your eye in relation to the fractured orbit.  It surgery is needed to repair the fracture it should be done in the first two weeks after the injury.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


it looks as if the orbital fracture repair was done fairly recently.  I agree that any email should wait until the swelling subsides and there are no further plans for orbital/sinus surgery.  Repair options will vary based on degree of final eyelid droop andetails of your eye exam.  Make sure your doctor, whether he/she is an ophthalmologist or bard certified plastic surgeon, has experience in ptosis surgery.  Good luck

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Ptosis in eyelid

Hello,The photo you sent suggests you have ptosis in the right eyelid.You should have it evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon for options to help repair it. Best of luck,

Christopher I. Zoumalan, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 102 reviews

There are no time windows for this.

Ideally you should be out a year from your fracture and certain that you will not be having any further orbital surgery to correct your orbital fracture because this can affect the ptosis surgery.  At least from the photograph, you have significant ptosis.  You should see a fellowship trained oculplastic surgeon.  They do vary in what they do.  I recommend seeing a surgeon who performs aesthetic reconstructive eyelid surgery.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.