Implants removed. What are my options?

What if you have a donut mastoplexy done (silicone implants) and years later you realize you don't want implants anymore .. What are you options? What will happen to your natural breast tissue once removed? Is it mandatory to have the implants exchanged if no problems within 10-15yrs?

Implants removed. What are my options?

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.
When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Implants removed. What are my options?

I appreciate your question.

You can always have the implants removed and a breast lift to tighten the skin at a later date if needed.  I would advise waiting 6-12 weeks after having implants removed to see if any further surgery is in fact needed.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Options regarding implants

If you would like to have your implants removed, you may do so at any time.  Your natural breast tissue is still present, but may have changed over the years.  It is difficult to predict what the breasts will look like after implant removal.  Some factors are the size of the implants, the elasticity of the skin, and the time the implants have been in place.  It will take several months after removal to determine the final look of your breasts. 
If you are not having any issues with your implants, there is no need to have the implants exchanged after a certain period of time.
An examination by a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area will be helpful in giving your more information based on your specific situation.

Camille Cash, MD

Implants removed. What are my options?

There is no expiration date on implants, and they are only replaced if and when you want or need a replacement. We can't know for sure what the final look will be after removal of implants without replacement so I always counsel patients to wait 6-12 weeks after removal to determine what might be needed in the way of further surgery. At least half the time patients are satisfied with the look and have no more surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You can have implants removed and the skin retightened with a full Breast lift . Seek nearby consultation with breast revision specialist 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Implants removed. What are my options?

You have a few options: have them removed and do nothing;  remove them and have a breast lift since your skin will be stretched out from the implants; exchange implants with a smaller implant with a lift.   It is not mandatory to have implants exchanged, just know that you will have saggy breasts due to aging and having implants for 17 years.  Some women will have them removed and live with it for a while .  Some will return for a lift with implant or just a lift.  I hope this helps.

Chad Robbins, MD